Bilingual Return to Work Specialist / Injury Counselor | Chicago, IL area | Remote
Return to Work Specialist / Injury Counselor Job Summary
The primary objectives for the Injury Counselor position are:
- To serve as an advocate for the injured worker.
- To coordinate daily claim activities to reduce the cost of each claim from day one.
- To improve the quality of workers’ compensation claim handling practices and ensure that this quality of claim handling is consistent for all claims.
- To coordinate the effective flow of claims information to all levels of management.
The Injury Counselor meets these objectives by making telephonic contact with the injured worker, the worker’s supervisor, the treating physician, and the claims adjuster. The contact provides reassurances to the worker, answers questions, identifies concerns, sells the benefits of transitional duty and occupational doctors, and establishes the injury counselor as the worker’s primary source of assistance. The injury counselor facilitates the return-to-work process.
The Injury Counselor’s activities drive down both the human cost and the financial cost of workers’ compensation claims by obtaining better medical outcomes and reducing the frequency of litigated claims.
- Act as liaison between management, claims adjuster, and employee to support return-to-work (regular or transitional).
- Maintain contact with injured employee throughout the entire claim process.
- Listen to concerns—encourage employees to call with concerns/problems.
- Determine cases requiring medical case management involvement.
- Monitor employee adherence to prescribed therapy.
- Responsible for helping reduce company’s workers’ compensation loss exposures.
- Handles approximately 400 newly reported injuries per year.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize and prioritize a heavy workload to meet deadlines.
- Computer and internet proficiency.
- Must be trustworthy and able to handle highly confidential information with the utmost care and discretion.
- Ability to multi-task and track the status of assigned claims to a successful and timely completion.
- Tenacious “won’t take no for an answer” personality trait.
- Empathetic listening skills coupled with innate curiosity.
- Ability to work with all levels of business contacts, including injured workers, medical providers, managers and supervisors, employee family members, lawyers, claims adjusters, and medical case managers
- Pleasant and clear speaking voice
- Bilingual Spanish
- Must have a very strong customer service background
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision on a daily basis
- Previous experience with workers compensation claims
- Familiarity with medical terminology
- Associates degree or equivalent education and/or work experience preferred but not required.
About Insurance Placement Solutions
IPS is an insurance staffing and recruiting firm dedicated to the insurance industry, including other workers compensation claims jobs in the Chicago, IL area. Our services are designed to be a resource for clients to gain access to high caliber talent. Many of our clients do not have the dedicated manpower to quickly fill their temporary, temporary to hire or direct hire vacancies. That is where we come in. Our clients are able to utilize our services to maintain business-as-usual during unforeseen interruptions and fluctuating business needs. Plus, our candidates benefit from gaining backdoor access to highly sought after positions with top companies in the industry.