Underwriter - Personal Lines
Responsible for reviewing, maintaining, and implementing underwriting philosophy, strategy and guidelines for personal lines of business for all states. Handles underwriting edit referrals or other assigned risk reviews, including making and implementing underwriting decisions on new business, renewals, endorsements and inspections. As an Underwriting team member, the underwriter participates and collaborates in underwriting profitability as well as work with the marketing department on agency management and profitability as the opportunity arises.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluates documents related to personal lines insurance; past claims, inspection reports, losses suffered, value and condition of the property, among others, to determine the degree of risk to which the Company will be exposed and makes appropriate exceptions to guidelines where appropriate by outlining and detailing thought process and without risking the Company’s profitability.
- Makes a determination to approve, modify, or reject a risk based on the letter of authority and the underwriting guidelines of the Company.
- Participates in agency management activities; including building, maintaining and managing producer and customer relationships.
- Refers cases outside of authority level to a Senior Underwriter.
- Collaborates with underwriters, operations, claims, marketing and makes recommendations regarding products and performance as appropriate.
- Creates, analyzes, and distributes reports as needed, including evidence of insurance.
- Communicates with agents and other company personnel with regards to insureds, policies, coverages, etc. either by phone or written correspondence.
- Handles underwriting edit referrals or other assigned risk reviews including making and implementing underwriting decisions on new business, renewals and endorsements.
- Provides phone coverage support as deemed necessary to meet client service levels.
- Follows all standard operating procedures (SOP) and ensures that all steps are fulfilled as planned.
- Some travel may be required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This job description has been prepared to indicate the general nature and level of the work that the employees perform within their classification. This description is not to be interpreted as an inventory of all the duties, tasks, responsibilities and qualifications required for the employees assigned to this job.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience and a minimum of three (3) years of prior industry experience to include advanced knowledge and understanding of personal lines products (Homeowners and Umbrella) processes and fundamental underwriting principals.
- Previous agency or company underwriting experience and appropriate insurance coursework is preferred.
- Demonstrate ability to complete complex underwriting assignments.
- Must possess and exhibit strong and articulate verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess strong analytical skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft office applications including Outlook, Word and Excel is required.
- Experience with MS Access and MS PowerPoint is preferred, but not required.
- Experience and knowledge of risk segmentation, financial analysis, insurance pricing, internet business channels, business planning and strategy.
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines efficiently and with high quality.
- Must have the ability to keyboard enter at a speed of not less than 45 WPM.
- Must be willing to work flexible schedules to support multiple time zones.
- Must possess a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Consistently meet service standards.
- Demonstrate technical expertise and product specific knowledge with experience in handling homeowner’s coverage.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners.
- Ability to be creative and adaptable in a changing business environment.
- Sound, balanced, and timely decision making skills.
Licenses and / or Certifications:
- CPCU not required but preferred