Innovation Law Attorney - Northbrook/Chicago IL, Scottsdale, AZ
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Seeking an Innovation Attorney! We are looking for a creative and high energy attorney interested in working at the nexus of law, business, technology, data, and consumers. Our innovation division of Allstate’s Law and Regulation department is growing to enable our emerging and service businesses to thrive as well as support matters across the enterprise as to technology, cybersecurity, privacy, data management, international, and intellectual property. This attorney will join a team of commercial attorneys that act as primary legal counsel for Allstate’s service businesses.
- Real time and critical business-focused commercial legal advice for a broad range of businesses and issues
- Anticipate legal concerns and provide creative problem solving in a dynamic business environment
- Excellent executive presence and concise verbal and written communication a must
- Play a key role in strategy determination, action planning, and communication with business partners, business units, and other areas of Law & Regulation
- Business acumen with ability to quantify return on investments (create and contribute to business cases and risk evaluations)
- Superior analytical skills
- Complex research as to applicability of pertinent laws, statutes, regulations, rules, and other legal authority; ability to summarize concisely and collaborate with other areas of company to determine impact of new legal authority on business and enable action plans
- Understanding of interaction in regulated environments between business, policy, compliance, legislative and legal frameworks
- Comfort with executing on goals and objectives through ambiguity and in a changing business and legal landscape
- Project management skills for cross-functional work
- Execution abilities within a parent company and its family of companies
- Draft, review and negotiate complex matters and agreements (technology agreements including software and hardware preferred)
- Ability to manage outside counsel, budgets and financial plans
- Prefer experience in the following areas: Privacy, technology, intellectual property, M&A, strategy, commercial, data, and/or highly regulated sectors
- Leadership qualities (team building and collaboration a must)
- Preference for experience advising a commercial business unit and/or business and work experience outside legal context
A typical day for an Innovation Attorney might include:
- Advising business partners on a new technology product rollout or a new corporate structure
- Coordinating, understanding, and synthesizing complex legal advice from other attorneys within Law and Regulation and outside experts to advise business partners in a simple, direct manner
- Drafting a complex data licensing arrangement or commercial deals
- Driving implementation of a compliance plan
We are fortunate to have a talented, engaged, and hard-working team and are looking for someone with those same qualities. You might be the right fit if:
- You thrive on advising in areas of law that are unsettled and constantly changing.
- You understand how to build new, efficient processes.
- You volunteer ideas and creative solutions.
- You are comfortable working with both a legal and business mindset simultaneously.
- Possesses a juris doctorate and a license to practice law in Illinois or Arizona (and/or other states as required)
- Minimum 7+ yrs legal experience
The Allstate Corporation is a $38B+ annual revenue publicly traded company (NYSE: ALL) that protects people from life uncertainties widely known from the slogan “You’re in Good Hands with Allstate.” The Innovation Law team supports the entire company, including Allstate’s emerging and service businesses to name a few, Arity, a telematics data analytics company in the iconic Merchandise Mart in Chicago, Allstate Protection Plans (acquired for $1.4B in 2017) providing consumer electronics protection plans, Allstate Identity Protection (recently acquired for $525M) providing identity protection, Allstate Business Insurance providing differentiated commercial insurance products to gig and shared economy companies, and Answer Marketplace a leading insuretech company with the first telematics-based advertising network.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.