Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryAre you interested in becoming a member of a highly skills team that provides support for cutting edge projects in an area that supports predictive models, analytics, and data exploration? As a member of the Information Management & Analytics (IM&A) Data Engineering team, this position will have responsibility for the preparation and use of data to support business partner(s) and predictive modeling projects across Business Insurance. Multiple technologies are used with new approaches emerging quickly in this fast moving and exciting role. You will also be directly involved in the implementation of the analytic models / data marts that integrate with strategic warehouses.
Hadoop-big data experience (HDFS, HBase, Hive, Pig, Spark, Python, etc.) preferred.
SAS, SQL, VBA, R, Mongo a plus.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Data Acquisition, Prep and Exploration:Reviews unfamiliar data sources. Connects to value for business. Able to link to systems.
- Develops process to acquire and integrate data.
- Independently reviews, prepares, designs and integrates complex (type, quality, volume) data correcting problems and recommends data cleansing/quality solutions to major issues.
- Works within Travelers standards, processes, and protocols.
- Develops moderate and applies complex data derivations, business transformation rules, and data requirements.
- Leads medium scale projects and coordinates aspects of larger projects with limited supervision.
- Performs analysis of complex (type, quality, volume) sources to determine value and use. Determines and recommends data to include in analytical projects.
- Creates moderate (technology and features) data visualization techniques to help support data exploration.
- Utilizes business knowledge to explain technical activities in business terms.
- Actively seeks opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Develops and maintains relationships across the enterprise.
- Analytic Data Discovery:Operationalizes and automates more complex (more systems, data sets and streams, size of data sets more substantial) products into business.
- Proactively looks to improve and optimize data products.
- Builds, tests, and implements complex analytic business products, including pilots and proof of concept.
- Applies knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements.
- Analytic Support:Independently train business users on data products/analytic environment.
- Ensures customer satisfaction through professional communication, follow-up, and responsiveness to issues.
- Consultation:Shares knowledge with users on data or analytic products.
- Builds effective relationships with stakeholders.
- Provides guidance and mentorship to lower level technical employees.
- 4 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College Degree in STEM related field preferred
- Advanced knowledge of data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred. E
- Big data and Cloud platforms experience a plus
- SAS, SQL, Spark, Python, Hive, AWS
- Qlik or Tableau or MicroStrategy
- 5 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
Advanced knowledge of data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred. Examples (but not limited to): Big data and Hadoop platforms and languages - SAS, SQL, Spark, Python, Pig, Hive, QlikView, Tableau.
- Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to clearly and concisely communicate with the business. Demonstrates willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues. Able to understand assigned business unit and business priorities.
- Able to coordinate with other technical areas to achieve project/department or division goals.
- Able to recognize, analyze, and diagnose business and data issues of advanced complexity.
- Ability to build and foster relationships with team, business, and technical partners to achieve objectives.
- Practices objectivity and openness to others' views. Able to recognize and support team priorities.
- Able to manage time and competing priorities and provide management with accurate and timely status information.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.