Senior Managing Actuary, GRM Global Capital, Risk & Reinsurance
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. Thats why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, youll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDGs Insider Pro and Computerworlds 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of Americas Best Employers for Women and one of Americas Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of Americas Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veterans status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
Liberty Mutual Global Retail Markets (GRM) Actuarial is seeking an influential, collaborative, highly motivated individual to lead the Global Capital, Risk and Reinsurance team. This role will lead 2 teams, comprised of 10 employees in total, and will focus on: elevating the integration of risk and capital assessment into decision-making across all GRM regions; evaluating and enhancing the economic capital model; establishing capital allocations used for pricing, planning, and other strategic decisions; opining on expected losses and reserves for reinsurance placements; and communicating results to senior management and other stakeholders. This role requires significant coordination with other GRM functions (such as Finance and Product), Global Retail Solutions, Investments and Corporate.
The successful candidate will need to utilize strategic thinking and a broad knowledge base to leverage limited data in assessing the implications of risk from economic, rating agency and regulatory perspectives. Excellent collaboration and communication skills are essential, as a critical component of the job is providing exceptional customer service while influencing stakeholders across the enterprise. Successful delivery of results also requires advanced project management skills in coordinating across capital and business teams while driving forward changes to meet evolving business needs. The best candidates will be intellectually flexible, able to come up with pragmatic solutions to complex problems, and have the skills needed to distill complicated information and communicate it effectively to a wide variety of audiences.
- Guard the GRM balance sheet: Ask probing questions, clearly communicate risk-reward trade-offs, and make challenging decisions on capital; own the view of economic and rating agency capital for GRM, the capital attribution process used for planning, and the benchmark capital used to set pricing targets; implement best capital modeling practices
- Influence risk assessment and management: Identify and appropriate ERM processes for key aggregation of risks, educating the organization as needed; form an opinion on the plan and reserves for internal and external reinsurance placements; be the subject matter expert in quantifying emerging risks; participate on risk-specific ERM Committees
- Exhibit thought leadership: Possess a deep curiosity and willingness to explore new ideas and foster innovation; as an integral member of Capital and ERM Committees, challenge assumptions, ask questions, and influence the strategic direction of GRM
- Model inclusiveness: Live our Values, foster an inclusive culture, and proactively seek out all forms of diversity
- Develop talent: Build and elevate risk and capital capabilities within the team, including development and talent evaluation; form resilient teams that can attract talent with wide backgrounds that contribute to diversity of thought
- Build relationships: Strengthen connections with leaders across GRM; form high trust/credible partnerships with key stakeholders and build bridges across business units
- Exert influence and communicate effectively: Distill very technical work down into a well-constructed, persuasive narrativeand coach direct reports on the samein order to increase organizational understanding and buy-in, as well as influence decision-making
- Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society designation required, or comparable actuarial education/designation combined with relevant experience
- Progressively more responsible experience in an actuarial role; in addition to 2+ years management experience
- Demonstrated ability to apply the depth/breadth of actuarial skill and business acumen that often comes from at least 3-5 years of highly technical casualty insurance and management experience since attaining fellowship in the CAS
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to lead and drive projects and assignments to completion through others, and effectively engage and develop talent
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate areas of senior management concern, integrate different perspectives, and respond accordingly
- Exceptional ability to exchange ideas, convey complex information clearly and concisely, and exert influence, both verbally and in writing, to all levels of management
- Strong organizational skills and ability to adapt well to the changing needs of the organization
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills required to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization