PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of this job is to plan, implement, and deliver reporting and business intelligence solutions that provide insight into business performance, as well as establish strong information governance policies and administering control processes to promote and protect data quality, security, and access. This position exists to manage delivery of information across the organization to enable enterprise reporting capabilities and fact-based decision making.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Influences enterprise business intelligence strategy (strategic / business skills).
- Manages the business intelligence program by defining priorities linked to business strategy, leading organization and process change, and demonstrating financial acumen by controlling funding around tools, user licensing, and resources.
- Ensures that the business capability requirements align to the business intelligence and data strategy roadmaps.
- Ensures business alignment, sets and monitors KPIs, addresses resource gaps, and secures funding to administer tools, licenses, and support.
- Communicates activities, plans, and progress of business intelligence program to stakeholders.
- Provides input to the data strategy and technology roadmap with respect to business intelligence capabilities supporting an agile infrastructure.
- Provides guidance and expertise in the development and design of the data infrastructure, with scalability, performance, and availability in mind.
- Provides subject matter expertise about the data, reports, tools, and modern business intelligence technologies in order to answer business user questions, provide recommendations, or to support strategic initiatives.
- Recommends new toolsets, or changes in toolsets, and guides organizational change management upon introduction of new tools, training on existing tools, or changes to views.
- Identifies and secures training for team members when new skills are required to administer the business intelligence landscape.
- Promotes and protects data quality, security, and access by administering control processes around security standards, data access, and data classifications (PI, PII, private, public).
- Displays high degree of initiative, integrity, flexibility and curiosity for understanding patterns and behaviors through the use of data.
- Develops strong relationships with business community and information technology organization and vendors, utilizing deep understanding of current business processes, industry best practices, and technical knowledge.
- Manages flexible on-demand workforce based on demand and capacity of the team.
- Manages relationships with vendors, outsourcers, and consultants, including contracts, service agreements, and escalations.
Oversees enterprise reporting and business intelligence capabilities (production / technical skills)
- Administers the ecosystem of reporting and business intelligence platforms by maintaining programs, establishing standards for governance, aligning tools with industry capabilities, providing methodology leadership, and executing on a technology roadmap.
- Establishes standards and best practices for business intelligence and reporting, and recommends improvements to maximize process efficiency and report management.
- Collaborates with internal teams across legal, information technology, information security, and within data governance structure on establishing standards.
- Formulates and recommends standards for achieving maximum performance and efficiency of the business intelligence ecosystem (reporting systems and tools).
- Ensures correct technical setup and advises on any connectivity, security, or other technical capabilities required.
- Collaborates with business community and IT colleagues to define business intelligence architecture supporting multiple subject areas within an enterprise data model.
- Manages business intelligence queue and support, including distribution lists. Ensures that user support issues are addressed.
- Identifies legacy reports, data sources and reporting systems which can be terminated, re-written, or converted to new technologies.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to define and develop data integration/engineering, including ETL/ELT and EAI.
- Develops and operationalizes standardized data dictionaries, data catalogs, and report tracking tools.
- Works with business owners to analyze data quality issues that impact the business, understands processes and policies that impact data quality, and makes recommendations to improve data quality.
- Investigates data issues, performs root cause analyses, proposes and executes solutions, and defines project requirements for issue resolution. Evangelizes self-service BI and visual discovery while helping to change Excel based culture.
Delivers business intelligence solutions (development / analytical skills)
- Collaborates with stakeholders throughout the company to assess and prioritize business intelligence and reporting needs.
- Leverages BI tools and other applications to design, develop and automate rich and interactive business intelligence dashboards and reports to support and accelerate smart data-driven decision making.
- Develops business insights, conclusions and recommendations as well as highlights opportunities, risks, outliers, abnormalities, inconsistencies and inaccuracies based on data analytics to share with relevant stakeholders.
- Creates business views of data to deliver reporting and analytic solutions to stakeholders which provide data-driven insight into business performance, issues, and initiatives.
- Works with stakeholders and subject matter experts to develop key performance indicators and dashboards.
- Partners to instantiate unstructured data to enable analytical capabilities requiring structured and unstructured data.
- Manages technical environment for analytics enabling users to identify and extract data, perform data exploration, and facilitate advanced analytical capabilities.
- Develops user skills, defines business rules, and promotes analytic adoption.
Develops and manages a team of business intelligence professionals.
- Provides daily direction to Business Intelligence team. Communicates Mission, Values and other organization operating principles to direct reports.
- Establishes and maintains the overall work cadence. In partnership with Executive Leadership, ensures performance and outcomes strive for excellence in delivery and customer experience. Ensures that the entire team is engaged and that leadership practices for the team encourage development, recognition and retention.
- Establishes and adheres to hiring criteria, on-boarding and training requirements for incoming staff.
- Oversees the performance management and development process for the team and performs performance management duties, development planning and coaching for direct reports.
- Acts as a resource for Business Intelligence team members to answer questions and solve complex problems.
- Manages Business Intelligence budget, technology and other resources, workload and customer requests for EDA services. Ensures adherence to all Company policies and procedures and Compliance responsibilities
- Ensures data quality, adherence to IT security guidelines, profitability and other risk-related metrics for self and members of the team.
Supervises a team of business intelligence specialists. Duties include recruitment, onboarding, supervision, scheduling, career development, performance management, and evaluations. Performance management includes translating corporate goals into functional and individual goals.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor Degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university required with major or emphasis in Information Systems, or an interdisciplinary field that synthesizes management, marketing, technology, and data analytics preferred. Alternatively, evidence of an equivalent combination of education and work experience in similar positions will be considered. Minimum of 5 years technical and leadership experience in business intelligence, data management, data analytics, or equivalent field. Demonstrated ability to coordinate work efforts and deliverables. Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, SAP Business Objects BI tools (Webi, Crystal, Explorer, Dashboards), and other business intelligence and reporting tools such as Alteryx, PowerBI, Tableau, Cognos, or similar tools required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
None required. Relevant certifications are desirable.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Skillful in quantitative methodologies, programming and dashboard development, with a keen business acumen and a team player mindset. Prepares detailed reports and executive summaries efficiently and accurately and details findings based on data-driven analysis. Excellent working knowledge with data management and governance roles, principles, processes and procedures. Familiarity with ETL concepts and tools, and data modeling a plus. Familiarity with business operations in the insurance industry a plus. Must possess effective consulting, facilitation and presentation skills and ability to influence others. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Must be able to read, write and speak English effectively. Ability to effectively present information to ICW staff, executive management and external audiences. Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to combine disparate skills and thinking to craft solutions and solve complex operational problems. Ability to hypothesize on root cause of inefficiencies and then test out probable solutions against those hypotheses.
Office environment no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands and employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
This position maps to the Manager level.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier and other standard office equipment. The noise level is usually quiet in the work area with moderate noise in the computer room. Travel is required up to 5% of time.