Senior Full Stack Software Engineer
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Allstate is looking for a Senior Full Stack Software Engineer to join our Rapid Product Delivery team in support of the Allstate Family of Companies.
Allstate is expanding beyond insurance to offer our customers a complete circle of protection for all aspects of their lives. The Allstate Family of Companies includes brands like Allstate Insurance, Allstate Roadside Services, Allstate Identity Protection (InfoArmor), SquareTrade, Allstate Benefits, Allstate Dealer Services, Arity, and Avail Car Sharing.
• You are passionate about software engineering
• You measure success by delivering working software and end user satisfaction
• You have a desire to reimagine our business for the customer’s benefit
• You are comfortable with ambiguity, and even use it to drive better ideas, work and success
In this role, you will serve as a member of the Rapid Product Delivery team in Charlotte, NC. You will practice and be the champion of Agile delivery utilizing Continuous Integration & Deployment practices. You will own the full stack of software products; developing and implementing frontends (web or mobile), and backend services. You will leverage test driven development and continuous integration to ensure agility and quality of products.
You will actively participate in the decision-making process of the team ensuring that the simplest appropriate technology and design is chosen to meet user needs. You will coach other team members, creating an environment of continuous learning, and constantly challenging and stretching the knowledge of the team.
• Participate in inception and iteration planning meetings, infusing backlogs with technical input working in close partnership with the product owner and product engineering manager
• Lead and participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
• Lead and participates in retrospectives; demonstrating and encouraging each participant to provide feedback with empathy
• Partner in collaboration and strategy alignment across product portfolios (cross-product) in partnership with product managers, other peers and key stakeholders with the customer needs and wants in mind
• Serve as an expert on one or more business domains and a lead advocate of one or more technology stacks; share that knowledge across organizations
• Participate in shaping the architecture and design of the products we build; actively help the team in choosing the right technology, and solving technical problems
• Coach the team in writing software and building products
• Establish continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment pipelines and practices
• Lead and participate in knowledge sharing, and contribute to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the engineering community.
A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals. Any Full-stack bootcamp experience will also be considered.
• 5+ years of experience developing software in different programming languages, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new languages
• Proficiency with Test Driven Development and Pair Programming
• Proficiency developing/consuming REST APIs including tooling for documentation (Java, Spring Boot, Swagger/Postman)
• Experience developing continuous integration, continuous delivery and continuous deployment pipelines for distributed apps (including use of Jenkins, Artifactory, Gradle)
• Experience on approaches and tools for automated testing and monitoring
• 5+ years of developing and implementing systems at scale
• Recent experience working in an eXtreme Programming (XP) or agile environment
• Strong verbal communication and collaboration skills
• Experience designing applications iteratively – you will not receive a full spec upfront and will need to feel comfortable thinking things through, filling in the blanks, and iterating across sprints as we receive feedback and pivot based on customer feedback
• Understanding of distributed systems, operating systems, networking, databases, security, and analytics
• Understanding of cloud services, deployment models, and distributed systems
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.