Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryEnterprise Architecture is charged with developing and leading common architectures, tools, technologies and capabilities across Travelers.
In support of strategic cloud and application modernization initiatives we are seeking a Senior Solution Architect. This individual should have a combination of hands-on architecture experience as well as solid leadership skills to support the enablement of Travelers' vision and direction in this space.
The ideal candidate must be comfortable working in a large, complex business and technology environment. This individual must be recognized as a proven delivery manager, technologist and team leader, with proven experience interacting with business and technology management. We need a strong people leader, recognized for building credibility, commitment and energy within his/her team, and with technology and business partners.
Remote work is fully viable option for this role.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
This individual will be involved with strategic and tactical items to align the use of cloud technologies to application architectures as well as aide in the direction and establishment of an enabling ecosystem. In addition, this person will also act as a catalyst and driver to ensure application modernization best practices approaches and considered and followed.
To achieve this the individual will:
- Have a significant role in the evaluation and support of application architectures across multiple lines of business to ensure alignment to cloud and application modernization strategies & capabilities.
- Develop strong partnerships across line of business and infrastructure architecture and engineering teams.
- Promote collaboration between architecture, engineering, business stakeholders, IT operations, security, and ?nance using excellent communication and partnership skills.
- Aides in: developing a cloud platform & architecture strategy, establishing governance, facilitating adoption and establishing cloud center of excellence (CCOE)
- Provide solution architecture assistance and services to various teams. Solutions provided must meet a quality attribute requirements as well as adhere to Traveler's standards.
- Ensure architectural compliance of solutions and introduce recommendations for changes to reference models when needed.
- Collaborate with business leaders & technology teams to determine how to best use technology to enable growth and success.
- Understand potential impacts of proposed solutions on other systems, processes or projects. Assist teams by providing appropriate direction, design considerations, tradeoffs, benefits and recommendations.
- Constantly develop knowledge of current and emerging technologies. Identify new and emerging solutions, assesses their relevance and potential value to the organization and present information to teammates and management.
- Participate in the day-to-day execution of the enterprise architecture strategy
- Work across multiple projects and systems to develop, communicate, and mentor others on design and implementation standards, guidelines and best practices.
- Assist in the execution of departmental and corporate programs.
- Aid in steering the technology direction and standards.
- Identify and consult on software practices and patterns to improve efficiency, scalability and quality.
- Adopt and communicate new concepts, ideas, techniques, best practices, and technology patterns. Mentor others on these new concepts.
The incumbent may also participate in developing the strategy and tactics for the renovation and replacement of legacy software components as Travelers transitions to a modernized service, process-oriented and cloud enabled architecture. This role will work with colleagues to establish and maintain methods and best practices for software architecture, to extend and refine Travelers' reference models, and to keep current on standards, techniques, tools and enabling technologies.
- Office/Productivity Suites.
- ERP Systems.
- Performance Engineering.
- Networks, Telephony.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- 3 years of experience in enterprise, application, and/or information architecture required.
Qualified candidates will have the following skills and experience:
- Minimum of 5 years IT experience in enterprise, application, and information architecture design.
- Minimum of 7 years work experience in application development
- 4 year degree in related field.
- Solid Leadership skills.
- Expertise in one or more of the areas: Cloud technologies, Infrastructure Technologies, Integration, API Management, Enterprise Architecture, Operations, Security, Application Architecture, Application Development, Application Performance
- Experience managing the application delivery process is a plus.
- Experience in people, product and/or project management is a plus.
- Experience working in a matrixed organization is a plus.
Has broad understanding and experience in some or all of the following areas:
- Application Architecture - understands the layout of an application deployment and design, including middleware options, protocols, API gateways and platform infrastructures.
- Automation and Orchestration -streamlining repeatable processes and automating the execution of a complex process: knowledge of scripting, programming or API interaction.
- Governance - ensure the effective and efficient use of cloud computing to enable the organization to achieve its goals: This involves defining appropriate use and workload and data placement policies
- Infrastructure and Operations - understand and focus on the people and processes associated with IT infrastructure (compute, storage and networking) and ITSM processes needed to manage provisioning, capacity, performance and availability of services
- Enterprise Integration - understand the processes and architecture for integrating disparate services as well as the specific effects on data, identity, infrastructure, API/service and provider integration.
- External Hosting - IT sourcing decisions, especially those of applications and infrastructure that reside outside the organization's premises
- Security - Understanding technical security that protects the organization's assets: knowledge of and experience with security policies, network security, data security and security event management to adopt cloud security services
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Decision-making skills with the ability to take appropriate risks
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong collaboration skills
- Strong leadership skills which includes the ability to support and enable others to also lead
- Ability to operate independently and solve problems
- Ability to make decisions in a rational, systematic, and logical manner
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels within the company and external constituents.
Business Knowledge & Partnership
Effectively contributes to, and communicates with the immediate team, systems staff, other business units, service offices, agents, and customers, through a collaborative style. Demonstrates ability to adjust priorities based on changing situations. Able to handle several priority projects at once.
Problem Solving & Decision Making
Demonstrates advanced analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are often novel and not readily defined, lack known precedent or appear contradictory. Able to develop solutions by applying accepted processes or creating new approaches to leverage technology from abstract information. Sees the big picture, and is fully aware of technology and business directions. Has experience building/maintaining highly robust and scalable applications or services. Considers a variety of alternatives to arrive at a timely, practical solution. The candidate must openly debate and defend recommendations.
Other qualifications include:
- Demonstrates sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are not readily defined and/or conflict with available information
- Understands where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions.
- Demonstrates ability to break down a problem to manageable pieces and implement effective, timely solutions
- Identifies the problem versus the symptom
- Manages problems that require involvement of others to solve
- Reaches sound decisions quickly
- Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action
- Optimizes the use of all available resources
- Develops solutions to meet business needs that reflect a clear understanding of the objectives, practices and procedures of the corporation, department and business unit
This role maintains partnerships across the organization, and is able to influence senior management, peers and staff through an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities to achieve results. Other qualifications include:
- Recognition that the success of the team is above personal interest
- Ability to establish effective, cross-functional relationships with members of other business, IT and leadership teams
This role manages functional objectives and priorities supporting multiple assigned business units. Responsibilities are assigned with a great amount of latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using generally accepted guidelines. Results are reviewed with next level manager for clarification according to predefined objectives.
Commitment to Quality Result
The candidate creates an atmosphere where business partners' issues are dealt with professionally and in a timely manner. This role suggests solutions that make sense and are in line with future technology direction. Other qualifications include:
- Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience
- Demonstrates an adaptive style that is flexible and effective in gaining cooperation of others
- Anticipates and responds to management requests for information with timely, accurate findings
- Advocates for the business, contributes opinions and influences others' opinions through excellent verbal and written communication
This role collaborates with IT and business leaders to determine how to best use technology to enable growth and success. Other qualifications include:
- Works across multiple projects and systems to develop, communicate and mentor others on design and implementation standards, guidelines and best practices
- Communicates within peer groups and several levels above
- Influences senior members of both IT and business leadership teams
- Communicates effectively through both verbal and written formats
- Able to read an audience and adjusts style to the audience's reactions
This role must develop a good understanding of the most important stakeholders and record this analysis for reference and refresh during the project. The incumbent must be able to win support from senior leaders regarding the performance management concepts being promoted.
Planning and Project Management
This role develops operational plans and provides resource estimation for task planning. Proposes action plans that are timely, realistic and positive. Sets appropriate goals for projects and monitors progress against the plan.
This role understands and has input to the budget process, and is responsible for cost-effective expense control of assigned projects. Has responsibility for important and confidential information.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.