Manager, Software Engineering
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. Thats why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, youll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession. We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more, please visit https://www.libertymutualgroup.com/about-lm/careers/benefits
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the 100 Best Places to Work in IT on IDGs Insider Pro and Computerworlds 2020 list.
We have been named by Forbes as one of Americas Best Employers for Women and one of Americas Best Employers for New Graduatesas well as one of Americas Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veterans status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.
We deliver our customers peace of mind every day by helping them protect what they value most. Our passion for placing the customer at the center of everything we do is driving a transformational shift at Liberty Mutual. Operating as a tech startup within a Fortune 100 company, we are leading a digital disruption that will redefine how people experience insurance.
At Liberty Mutual Investments (LMI), we manage a high-quality investment portfolio utilizing a disciplined strategy. We have a large and varied customer base, supported by strategic business units that function as a complete investment firm within our Fortune 100 Company. Our Investment professionals are critical to our ability to keep our promises to policyholders, claimants and their families.
LMI Technology is actively searching for a Manager, Engineering for the Front office & Analytics team. This candidate will manage staff and provides technical guidance related to software development and related projects and/or a portfolio of applications. May oversee the development, implementation and execution of project plans for product maintenance, enhancements and vendor releases; ensure scope and schedule are established for projects and assignments. Oversees operating plan and resource allocation for the unit, including prioritization and staff deployment. Ensures team adheres to applicable department and enterprise policies and processes.
About the job:
- Manages an application support and software development unit and ensures system, technical and product architectures are aligned with business objectives
- Ensures application or portfolio of applications are enhanced and maintained to meet business functional need and vendor product maintenance remains current
- Oversees the development, implementation and execution of project plans; ensures scope and schedule are established for projects and assignments
- Works with trading, portfolio management, investment operations, and technical staff to ensure service level agreements are met, problems are resolved in a timely manner, application enhancements are completed, and process and technical improvements are identified and implemented to improve overall operational efficiency
- Hires and manages individual contributors; coaches and counsels team members. Defines individual performance objectives and development plans and ensures alignment with organizational objectives. Appraises and evaluates team and individual performance and makes compensation recommendations. Facilitates or provides mentoring experiences
- Responsible for unit's workforce and talent management plans, including skills forecasting, staff development, training and succession planning
- May establishes financial plan for the application, portfolio or overall unit and manages to plan
- Initiates and fosters collaborative partnerships with current and potential clients, IT and business managers, vendors and IT executives; develops relationships that support increasing efficiency and effectiveness
- Bachelors degree in technical or business discipline
- Minimum 8+ years Software Development experience
- Minimum 3 years in a leadership role
- Requires excellent analytical ability, consultative, communication, presentation and management skills, strong judgment and ability to work effectively with clients, IT management and staff
- Requires strong negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills; In-depth knowledge of project planning methodologies and tools and IT standards and guidelines; knowledge of management concepts, practices and techniques
- In-depth knowledge of IT concepts, strategies, and methodologies; thorough knowledge of asset management functions and operations, objectives and strategies.
- Experience in an asset management environment strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of asset management vendors, market data, trading technologies, fixed-income investment analytics, and quantitative finance strongly preferred.
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
Were dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.