Senior Data Scientist
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Allstate is seeking to hire a Senior Data Scientist to join our Innovation team at our downtown Chicago location. Allstate’s Innovation Team is at the forefront of change and growth within the company, driving the creation of standalone businesses or reinvention of existing ones. Innovation projects typically include cross-functional team members within Business Strategy, Product, Technology, Design, and Go to Market functions, who use data-driven prototypes and testing to achieve desired business outcomes. The team is seeking to augment its analytics capabilities further by growing a small team of predictive analytics researchers and data engineers with a Senior Data Scientist position. Past projects in the team have included the development of a new consumer “digital footprint” technology, announced at CES 2019, and new approaches to risk prediction for traditional insurance products.
The Senior Data Scientist will develop advanced predictive models and exploratory data analyses that will unveil key data insights leveraging both structured and unstructured data. This role will work closely with Data Engineering and the business team to determine what data insights need to be derived and the problem statement that should guide the analysis in order to solve business problems. This individual will be a key communicator of analytical results and insights to various stakeholders across and outside the company. This will require an advanced understanding of which data visualizations and techniques will be most effective in communicating insights to the business team. The Senior Data Scientist will be required to drive all analytics efforts supporting the product development lifecycle.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative or technical field such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, or engineering with 8 or more years of experience in a data science and/or predictive analytics role OR -
- A Masters or Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline with 3 or more years of experience in a data science and/or predictive analytics role (Masters or Ph.D. strongly preferred).
- Ability to independently develop advanced statistical and machine learning models using a variety of techniques (e.g. GLM, Neural Networks, Tree-based learning methods).
- Comfortable bringing new ideas to the team and assessing their benefits over currently used methodologies.
- Ability to identify the appropriate modeling technique given a problem statement based on the availability, variety, and quality of data.
- Ability to identify and define a problem statement given a business problem.
- Expert level knowledge in one or more languages commonly used in data analytics (Python, R, Java, Scala, etc.). Python / R proficiency is strongly preferred.
- Expert level knowledge in SQL and database management, both relational and big-data platforms.
- Experience visualizing complex data insights using ggplot2 in R or seaborn/matplotlib in Python.
- Experience in managing, validating, and manipulating large, complex datasets.
- Strong ability to communicate complex analyses and concepts to non-technical audiences within and outside of the organization.
- Comfortable performing independent research to support analytics decisions as part of the product lifecycle.
- Past experience in insurance industry and other related risk prediction efforts highly desirable.
- The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.