Director, Cloud Engineering
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
The Director of Cloud Engineering is an experienced technologist and strategic partner to the senior leaders of Allstate’s Technology and Strategic Ventures organization. The Director of Cloud Engineering is expected to develop a strategic vision that can accommodate the migration of a wide variety of technology assets to multiple Cloud Providers. In this role you are a senior and trusted leader for technology and business partners in helping drive decision making, delivery, and responsible for all aspects of effective collaboration and influencing the direction of our Cloud platforms.
Our ideal candidate will provide clear direction and priorities in order to meet organizational objectives as it pertains to cloud technologies. This leader must be able to articulate foundational principles and patterns that will enable the broader Allstate technology organization to consume cloud technologies in a secure and scalable manner. This role will balance competing priorities, as well as be able to navigate and influence the broader technology organization. The leader should understand the impact of organizational models and technology selection on the speed, cost and usability of cloud solutions. This leader recognizes and removes barriers, creates a desire to succeed, and accurately assess the strengths and development needs of team members.
The Director of Cloud Engineering is responsible for defining program level KPI’s to drive the overall cloud strategy. This leader will be responsible for designing and running an organization that can balance the needs of cloud architecture, cloud governance, cloud education, and cloud engineering.
- Establish principles practices and patterns for software deployment, inclusive of vended, data, and stateless applications.
- Inspire trust and confidence in partners through strategic and diplomatic handling of relationships with senior business and IT leaders with the goal of building, planning, assessing, and prioritizing cloud related initiatives.
- Collaborate with strategic partners to develop and implement prioritization criteria in support of the most valuable portfolio work.
- Partner with business areas and ATSV Finance to support the annual financial planning process and provide ongoing financial monitoring and forecasting to enable portfolio investment decisions.
- Review and provide recommends on resource sourcing strategies based on resource capacity and allocation analysis.
- Understand and industry best practices and challenge the status quo to support continuous improvement.
Key Responsibilities con'd
- Sets and executes team strategy, including objectives and plans for the portfolio so as to develop and deliver innovative solutions in support of Enterprise goals. Communicates strategy to the team so they understand their role in achieving the established goals.
- Influences direct reports, clients, service providers and peers to successfully deliver on business commitments.
- Create governance frameworks for the secure consumption of cloud resources in accordance with security standards and regulatory obligations.
- Enable the team to create patterns that balance availability, security, agility and cost.
- Create strategies to guide the consumption of Platform as a Service, Container as a Service, Infrastructure as a Service, and Software as a service in accordance with security architectures and frameworks.
- Establish risk management practices and participate as a liaison between technology and audit for cloud related activities.
- Establish strategies for operationalizing cloud deployed assets, creating patterns for monitoring, asset management, and incident response.
- Evangelize and guide ATSV in the establishment of a DevOps mindset and supporting organizational model.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree or equivalent
- 7+ years of experience in IT infrastructure, application, web and cloud service technologies
- 5+ years of experience in roles involving budgetary responsibility including forecasting and trending financials.
- 3+ years of experience in Agile development methodology and Test-Driven Development
3+ years of management experience in which the following occurred:
- Demonstrated high competency in the execution of multiple large projects
- Demonstrated competency in strategic thinking and leadership, with strong abilities in relationship management
- Gained experience in managing resources to meet goals across multiple projects and competing priorities
- Gained experience in leading multidiscipline, high-performance work teams/groups
- Demonstrated competency in developing efficient and effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems
- Excellent written/verbal communication and facilitation skills for communicating at all levels (employees and leaders); including strong presentation skills
- Strong analytical and communication skills with ability to develop executive level communication
- Demonstrated competency PaaS, IaaS, SaaS and Caas.
- Strong understanding of release management best practices such as CI, immutable infrastructure, canary deployments, and blue/green deployments.
- Demonstrated competency in security frameworks such as NIST and OWASP.
- Demonstrated understanding of defense in depth and layered security controls
- Proven track record of delivering security capabilities for enterprise cloud migrations.
- Proven track record of delivering solutions for federated Identity and Access Management across public cloud providers.
- Experience with implementation of Network Security Controls (e.g., firewalls, IDS, IPS, honeypots, vulnerability assessments)
- Past or current certifications (e.g. Microsoft, AWS, Cisco, and VMware) is preferred
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.