SR Actuarial Data Scientist
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Senior Actuarial Data Scientist role supports new class of pricing algorithms for personal insurance lines of business. This role provides a great opportunity to be part of a strategic innovation team that is developing and architecting "first to the world" type of innovative auto, property, life and other personal insurance products.
The Senior Actuarial Data Scientist will utilize various statistical modeling techniques to support the creation of models, will educate business partners on the use of these models, and will participate in innovative work to creating sophisticated rating plans (by incorporating advanced telematics, geospatial and other non-traditional datasets).
The Innovation team supports pricing for personal insurance lines of business utilizing accepted actuarial and statistical standards and methodologies. In this role you will lead development of new products by working closely with multiple organizations across Allstate Enterprise to support key business goals.
Sponsorship for CAS and CSPA exams is available.
Remote work opportunities may be available to qualified candidates at the manager's discretion.
- Identify and solve product/pricing problems by performing analysis that involves retrieving and analyzing both internal and external data.
- Assist with analysis and implementation of changes to existing telematics-based insurance products as well as the development of new class of personal risk products.
- Perform extensive product reviews that require analysis of trends, factors, issues, competitive analysis, and rate level indicators.
- Ability to drive for results, deal with ambiguity, solve problems, make decisions in high stakes, innovation driven culture.
- Uses best practices and traditional statistical/modeling techniques to develop and maintain rating, economic, and other models as necessary and in consideration of the business goals of the model.
- Provide tools, educate and support state teams in the implementation of models and other decision-making support.
- Follows appropriate analyses to be conducted for projects to make recommendations to achieve corporate goals.
- With minimal direction plans, implements, manages, and/or contributes on projects that are up to moderate complexity and are small-to moderate scale using accepted project management standards.
- Forecasts short-term and long-term deliverables with assistance.
- Tracks own plan performance and project timeline and communicates and presents project status.
- Supports the development/ design of new plans, programs, processes, products up to moderate complexity. Assists in the development of communication strategies and materials to support new plans, programs, processes, products; solicits input from stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree required – preferably in related field of study such as actuarial science, math/applied math, statistics/applied statistics, economics or computer science.
- Pursuing actuarial designation and has completed at least two actuarial exams.
- Understands economics of insurance; several years of experience with personal lines ratemaking and rating plans.
- Past experience with advanced telematics/sensor data, geospatial and other non-traditional datasets is a huge plus.
- Aptitude and strong interest in statistical modeling techniques such as linear regression, logistic regression, GLM, GAM, GBM, etc.
- Standard knowledge in the use of data sources and applications to conduct research.
- Strong technical aptitude, such as programming experience with Python, R, SAS, or SQL required.
- Working knowledge of insurance regulation and related business constraints.
- Past experience with Graph databases and/or Natural Language processing is a big plus.
- Has an understanding of current industry and professional standards/ environment to impact decisions and indicate requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels.
- High level organizational and project management skills in order to handle multiple concurrent assignments in a timely manner and to monitor processes throughout a team or department.
- Strong decision-making skills in fast moving work environments.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.