Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThis position has dual reporting into the VP Small Commercial and the Business Insurance Field Vice President (BI FVP). The position will be responsible for managing/running a Select volume business, and driving an effective Business Insurance (BI) sales and distribution strategy across the breadth of distribution channels. Responsible to partner with Select Product Management and Middle Market Distribution to deliver growth, profit and loss in support of the assigned Region. The Select Sales Directors, Technology Sales Executives, Public Sector Territory Managers and regional field Business Development Director will report to this role, while maintaining dual alignment with appropriate Market/Practice Leaders.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Key accountability for developing and leading sales strategies and tactics to drive a volume business (Select Express and Plus Business), while leveraging agreed upon distribution relationships to drive opportunities across Business Insurance.
- Across and in alignment with the BI matrix leadership, sets the sales and distribution direction for the Region with active engagement in strategic business discussions and decisions impacting each business unit. Provide direct management of sales activities such as new business development, sales support and customer retention.
- Develop key agency partnerships and build financial plans with partner agencies within assigned Regions to ensure that Travelers is the primary carrier for Small Business.
- In concert with the Select Product Management, Select Underwriting Centers, Select Business Centers and Select Inside Sales will develop regional financial budget and continue ensuring excellence in performance standards and financial goals.
- In partnership with Select Sales Lead and Sales Analytics will endeavor to implement sales best practice through empirical analysis of results and resource allocation needs.
- Extensive knowledge of competitor products and capabilities as well as marketplace dynamics and market trends.
- Effectively maintains open, collaborative relationship with BI Field Leadership team around achievement of mutual regional goals.
- Has an active and collaborative partnership with HR around recruiting plans and staff development in order to attract and retain top talent. Works closely with leaders on developing bench strength for all key positions.
- 7 years of volume business sales leadership experience (Commercial or Personal Lines) required.
- Supervisory experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in insurance discipline.
- 7 years of underwriting experience
- Commercial Lines or Personal Lines Underwriting, Product, or General Industry experience required.
- Experience with dual reporting relationships in a matrix organization.
- Strong agency management experience preferably in small and middle market agency distribution.
- Strong general Management background with P & L accountability.
- Exceptional organization, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, interpersonal, time management, verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelors degree required and MBA or Masters Degree preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated results orientation; strong motivational leadership, technical sales & marketing, managerial and change management capabilities.
- Effectively promotes Enterprise initiatives and actively participates with Enterprise leaders in promoting supportive culture.
- Ability to strategically maximize direct and indirect resources of the Sales and Underwriting team toward achievement of desired results.
- Knowledge of Select operating model, product management discipline, products, operations, and agency distribution.
- Knowledge of Select product, operations, and agency distribution.
- Solid experience building an organization, teams and attracting and developing top talent.
- Ability to create and sustain a dynamic workplace.
- Excellent sales skills and ability to coach and mentor.
- Deep understanding and appreciation for business, analytics and technology.
- Demonstrated strong decision making ability.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and solid platform / facilitation skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and strategic thinking skills to understand and anticipate the impact and opportunities across multiple disciplines to drive units objectives. Develops business case analysis in support of strategic objectives and influences others to take recommended actions.
- Translates vision and strategy into actionable plans.
- Strong collaboration and experience in developing working relationships with senior management and core business functions across the Enterprise.
- Ability to negotiate and resolve conflicts by finding acceptable solutions to business problems.
- Leads innovation and execution of new solutions to market challenges.
- Demonstrates ability to set high performance culture and achieve results at an exceptional level.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.