Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThere's never been a better time to join Travelers. We have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Development Underwriter to join our Management Liability team in Manchester on a permanent basis.
Drawing on your previous experience underwriting Management Liability products you will underwrite new and renewal business, consistently achieving superior financial results through execution of regional or product underwriting strategies. You will interact and collaborate with colleagues internally and global broker partners externally to attract new business, retain existing customers, and explore new areas of business.
We aim to offer an inclusive and flexible approach to how and when you work, as well as good work-life benefits. We are happy to discuss all types of flexible working with you, when you join us for your interview. While we may not be able to accommodate exactly what you want, we are always open to having the conversation.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Be Committed, Be Connected, Be Creative and Be Energised - these are the values we are passionate about. Understanding and embracing our values will shape your success and contribute to making this a great place to work. The following key activities form a core part of your role;
- Underwrite and assess risk for products and accounts from assigned brokers.
- Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority in addition to considered, intelligent, and complete recommendations to regional or product underwriting leadership.
- Underwrite more complex accounts and risks and consider different approaches toward risks to maximise profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security).
- Negotiate terms and conditions consistent with regional or product underwriting requirements and standards within submission timeframe.
- Understand and execute product segment strategies to produce budgeted results.
- Continuously manage book of business (maintain quality of business required by regional or product underwriting strategy).
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation and information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in Head Office, Risk Control, Claims, Actuarial, and as needed, any other parts of the organisation.
- Develop and leverage broker/client relationships through a high level of visibility and using a disciplined sales management approach (e.g., planning and follow-up for broker and prospective customer visits/meetings) in support of business objectives.
- Create and achieve sales plans that identify and capture new business opportunities and effectively cross sell TICL products
- Act as a responsible business partner with assigned brokers and clients, managing interests of TICL.
- Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products)
To be successful you will need to consistently deliver a great experience in every customer contact; connect with the right partners internally to find creative solutions to problems; be a role model and behave in a way that actively supports an inclusive work environment; and consistently deliver on your commitments.
- Previous experience of underwriting in management liability/professional indemnity/financial institutions required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- University degree and/or Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) Advanced Certification or Diploma preferred.
- General knowledge of industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the Line of Business.
- General knowledge of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight.
- Continuously seeks out market insight and uses acquired knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
Licensing or Certificates
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships or alliances to meet goals and achieve objectives
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external factors that impact the Lloyd's Market to make decisions
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships, and explores alternatives to support sound decision making.
- Utilizes understanding of finance and accounting principles to identify the impact of responsible underwriting decisions on the overall profitability of the business.
- Product/Technical: Demonstrates technical proficiency and application of knowledge commensurate to his/her underwriting authority.
- Makes sound quoting and pricing decisions that are in the Company's best interests.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Continuously)
- Sitting (Can stand at will) (Continuously)
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Continuously)
- Use of Display Screen Equipment (Continuously)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.