Java Developer (4-7 years Exp)
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
The Lead Java Developer within Allstate's Information Services Group (ISG) provides code/design analysis and strategy, supports project planning, and develops code and designs for complex projects. They manage the review of code, design, and testing for lesser experienced Application Developers and peers. They serve as a technical expert, coach and mentor for other application developer specialists and professionals.
The Lead Java Developer works closely with business partners to identify needs and design technology solutions to: overcome process bottlenecks, reduce use of contingent claim resources, reduce compliance risks, or generally increase operational efficiency. They are often required to deliver tactical solutions that can be implemented within a few days. They are responsible for all phases of the application development cycle: beginning with requirements gathering, through release, and ultimately ongoing user support.
The hands-on tech lead drives the design and development for Master Data Management (MDM) – analysis, design, build, testing and implementation in SAFE agile development lifecycles.
- Work with Product owner to translate product requirements into innovative solutions that provide an excellent client experience and aligns with architectural roadmap.
- Participates in the effort of shaping the architecture and design of the product; actively helps the team in choosing the right technology and solving technical problems.
- Prepare detailed technical designs that account for security, resiliency, scalability, maintainability, and performance.
- Code as necessary, test, debug, implement, and support MDM Ingestion pipelines and API’s.
- Coaches the team in writing software and building products
- Performs code review and make recommendations for quality standards. Manage and assist other team members with technical issues and resolution of complex problems.
- Collaborate with business partners and Product owners to review backlog, ensuring they are clear, concise, and technically feasible.
- Strive for continuous improvements of our processes, application, designs, and application execution.
Collaborate with onshore/Offshore resources, ensuring adherence to our processes and standards.
- 5 years of hands–on demonstrated experience developing applications using Java/J2EE, Spring Boot and web services
- 2+ years of tech lead/lead developer experience in agile teams of up to 3 developers including employees onshore/offshore
- Lead detailed technical designs that account for security, resiliency, scalability & performance.
- Experience with J2EE, Spring Boot, Micro Services, JSON Restful API.
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD) and testing tools such as Junit.
- Experience with continuous integration, continuous testing, delivery & deployment pipelines for distributed apps, using tools such as Jenkins, Griddle, Artifactory e.t.c
- Demonstrated continuous learning is critical for success in this role.
- Experience implementing business critical, high volume, and highly available applications is a must.
- Must be collaborative, adaptable & good communication skills.
- Experience working with SQL server, NoSQL or Mongo DB is nice to have.
- Experience with microservices a huge plus.
- Understanding of streaming technologies such as Kafka, spark streaming etc. is nice to have
- Experience with Scala and & Master Data Management (MDM) Data warehousing is a huge plus.
- A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.