Cybersecurity Attorney - Innovation Law
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
The Cybersecurity Attorney - Expert is responsible for enterprise-wide legal counseling to the Chief Information Security Officer, Allstate Information Security, and business areas. The role works closely with data counsel and privacy counsel to support teams throughout Allstate, to ensure that cybersecurity is built into our products and services, that we adhere to data protection laws and regulations globally, and that we maintain a culture of security within Allstate.
- Provide legal leadership of complex and critical Allstate cybersecurity program, including by helping drive compliance programs for security laws [e.g. the NY DFS Cybersecurity regulation and related state laws, HIPAA Security Rule, Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLB)] in addition to industry standard assessments, including Payment Card Industry-DSS and SOC2 certification.
- Work cross-functionally with areas of responsibility across Allstate to build consensus and drive adoption of security mindset and to manage large-scale technology- and security-driven projects
- Partner with the enterprise security operations team to counsel and remediate security incidents
- Review and negotiate information security and data-related provisions to analyze both the risk and return in the appropriate context of each deal and provide practical advice
- Provide general commercial support as needed to Innovation Law business partners
- This role is an individual contributor, reporting to the Senior Managing Counsel of Data, Privacy, Cybersecurity, and Crisis Management
Education and Experience
- J.D. from an accredited law school and admission in good standing with one or more state bar required
- License to practice law in professional location state
- 7 or more years of related experience
- In-house experience with cybersecurity in regulated industries strongly preferred
- In-depth subject matter expertise in relevant areas, including data, privacy, cybersecurity, technology, and attendant federal and state requirements in regulated spaces, as well as of software and product development
- Proven ability to translate complex legal and regulatory security requirements into actionable technical and operational requirements
- Demonstrated understanding of emerging business trends and ability to integrate into both team and enterprise-wide strategic objectives
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally throughout the enterprise
- Excellent executive presence
- Honed ability to calmly and proactively manage high-pressure, time-sensitive situations such as information security incidents and other related crisis management activities
- Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively transfer understanding of Allstate’s vision and strategy as well as emerging business trends and team strategic objectives
- Excellent motivation, who independently determines approach for managing projects and teams, including proactively anticipating operational issues and developing preventative measures, and a willingness to take accountability for own targets
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.