Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryResponsible for providing high quality and cost-effective legal representation. Demonstrates superior knowledge and expertise in the litigation process and provides excellent client service as part of a legal team. Responsible for independent, aggressive case handling with a resolution management focus.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Litigates cases to verdict, demonstrating superior use of trial skills and techniques.Ability to independently handle a full to moderate caseload with minor to moderate level of severity and complexity from case inception through trial/resolution.Works under the guidance of Senior Counsel and Counsel in litigating complex and high exposure files.Conducts legal research as necessitated.Under the supervision of experienced counsel, drafts pleadings, motions, briefs, discovery and other file documents.Under supervision provides legal research and demonstrates effective and persuasive legal writing skills.Attends court events and other appointments independently and/or under the supervision of experienced counsel.Learns and understands claim customers expectations and key department business goals and assists them in meeting those goals.Handles and actively seeks opportunities to become involved in special projects and on committees.Provides recommendations and case analysis to business partners on appropriate file handling strategy.Integrates legal support staff into case handling process.Builds and maintains superior internal and external client relationships.Completes all required administrative tasks including time reporting, closed cases, reports and other materials appropriate to performance of job duties.Effectively makes use of technology and automation in the practice of law.Adheres to all standards of excellence in file management.Travels as required to meet business needs.Ability to mentor and train legal support staff.Provide advice and training to claim partners and clients.
- Juris doctorate from an accredited law school with a strong academic record.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 1-3 years or equivalent legal experience
- Insurance litigation work exposure desirable
- Active license to practice law. Articulate presentation skills using technology
- Strong and persuasive legal writing skills and oral advocacy skills
- Ability to clearly and succinctly articulate position
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Independent ability to analyze legal issues with minimal supervision
- Appreciation for and commitment to delivery of high quality legal work
- Works collaboratively with team members and others
- Demonstrates desire to acquire effective trial skills with increased litigation complexity
- Demonstrates superior legal acumen
- Demonstrates personal commitment to professional development
- Continued development of technical skills with a goal of handling the highest complexity/exposure MCU cases
- Personal integrity and adherence to a high degree of professionalism and ethical competency
- Strong research skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Multi tasking tolerance and success
- Decision making and problem solving abilities
- Sense of urgency/responsiveness
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process we will work with you to accommodate your needs.