Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryResponsible for profitability, growth, and retention of business within an assigned region and business unit of Bond & Specialty Insurance. Responsible for managing a group of Account Executives (underwriters) in a specific location or region. Achieves budget objectives by leading the successful development and deployment of resources and by executing the market segment strategies set for each region. May produce and underwrite new and renewal business from assigned agents/ brokers in a market segment. Will spend time managing and leading employees but will also be involved in day-to-day transactions. In some cases, majority of time will be spent managing and leading.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversees the underwriting of new and renewal business for a specific region within a specific line of business of Bond & Specialty Insurance.
- With RVP, implements business strategies to effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned region/business unit.
- Manages a team of Account Executives (underwriters) and potentially Managing Account Executives. Staff management functions can include: coaching, training and development, performance management, recruitment, and compensation planning.
- Underwriting and Pricing: Participates in the development of strategic business plans that are designed to increase the business units presence in the market, retain the appropriate mix of business, and achieve business objectives. Implements business strategies to effectively achieve business objectives for assigned locations.
- Distribution and Agency Management: Effectively manages local strategies, objectives, and tactics concerning relationships with brokers and agencies.
- Sales: Practices and promotes behaviors inherent to a successful consultative marketing/sales culture.
- Negotiation: Negotiates the most complex, at risk, or hard to close deals as needed. Identifies creative solutions to complex issues that satisfy all parties.
- Executes Strategy and Drives Results: Demonstrates leadership by providing strategic direction and support to staff. Drives efforts to achieve quality results and promotes the spirit of always doing the right thing on behalf of the enterprise and the business.
- Business Planning and Collaboration: Effectively drives a collaborative business approach and fosters enterprise wide solutions to local business issues. Encourages others to seek solutions to business problems that optimize the results and performance across the enterprise.
- Leading Others:
- Minimum of 5 years of underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has 8-10 years of relevant Account Executive/Underwriting experience.
- Previous insurance and business line specific experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Prior management of a field location preferred.
- Has thorough understanding of global insurance trends, industry/customer based trends and enterprise wide business and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Can manage to organizational and regulatory rules, policies, and procedures; also provides feedback to higher levels of management when changes are needed.
- Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the Bond and Specialty Insurance industry to make decisions.
- Can identify current or future problems or opportunities; can analyze, synthesize and compare information to understand issues,
- ble to identify cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment.
- Requires extended periods of computer use.
- Requires extended periods of sitting.
- Requires occasional driving.
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.