Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryWe currently have an opportunity for a Senior Development Underwriter with Property and Casualty underwriting experience to join our Public Sector team in Redhill on a permanent basis.
As a Senior Development Underwriter at Travelers you will be responsible for identifying and developing new business opportunities, seeking new solutions to meet the needs of the clients and brokers, as well as supporting the renewal of current business.
We aim to offer an inclusive and flexible approach to how and when you work, as well as good work-life benefits. We are happy to discuss all types of flexible working with you, when you join us for your interview. While we may not be able to accommodate exactly what you want, we are always open to having the conversation.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Be Committed, Be Connected, Be Creative and Be Energised - these are the values we are passionate about. Understanding and embracing our values will shape your success and contribute to making this a great place to work. The following key activities form a core part of your role;
- Underwrite and assess risk to maximise business growth and profitability for allocated broker panel. Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority in addition to considered, intelligent and complete recommendations to technical underwriting/business leadership.
- Consistent with Travelers Insurance Company Limited (TICL) underwriting principles, underwrite more complex accounts and risks and consider different approaches toward risks to maximise profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security)
- Make prompt, sound decisions within underwriting authority and based on appropriate underwriting information. Negotiate terms and conditions consistent with underwriting requirements and service.
- Understand and execute Travelers' underwriting strategies and principles to produce budgeted results
- Working with Underwriter on same broker panel, continuously manage book of business, maintaining quality of business, growth and profit.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation and information in account management systems and adherence to Travelers' documentation standards.
- If a Subject Matter Expert for a nominated Product / Initiative, provide local and national expertise, coaching, direction and leadership to ensure successful meeting of growth and profit objectives.
- Actively engage and seek out training opportunities to further develop underwriting expertise.
- Develop and leverage broker/client relationships through a high level of visibility and using a disciplined sales management approach (e.g. planning and follow-up for broker and prospective customer visits/meetings) in support of business objectives.
- Working with Distribution, effectively assist in the development, documentation and execution of sales plans with emphasis on increasing marketing and sales activities outside the office. Work tactically with brokers to ensure they have an appropriate level of understanding of TICL goals and objectives.
- Seek out and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in other business units and regions to foster business development across Travelers.
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled regional and product underwriting and/or sales meetings.
- Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products) to meet Travelers' service standards.
- Provide leadership and coaching to help achieve underwriting, sales and production goals and work towards strategic objectives.)
To be successful you will need to consistently deliver a great experience in every customer contact; connect with the right partners internally to find creative solutions to problems; be a role model and behave in a way that actively supports an inclusive work environment; and consistently deliver on your commitments.
- Previous experience of underwriting in Property and Casualty classes of business.
- Incumbents are required to hold a full and valid driving licence.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Degree education preferred.
- Typically has proven experience in Underwriting, including identifying and developing new business opportunities.
- General knowledge of the local insurance marketplace.
- Thorough knowledge of organisational and regulatory rules, policies, procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day to day work activities.
- General knowledge of technical underwriting.
Licensing or Certificates
- ACII qualification preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Advanced knowledge and ability required in respect of analytical thinking, judgment, decision making, communication and strong team work.
- Demonstrates proven ability in respect of broker planning and engagement activities.
- Demonstrates advanced ability in the areas of customer focus and positive broker interaction.
- Demonstrates intermediate knowledge and ability in respect of Microsoft Office systems including Excel and Powerpoint.
- Typically demonstrates advanced relationship management skills.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.