Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryInnovative thinking, creative problem-solving, and a determination to challenge the status-quo. These are some of the defining qualities for participants of our Business Insights & Analytics Leadership Development Program (BI&A LDP). This three-year rotational program is designed to grow and develop your understanding of how to leverage data for business insights and self-leadership skills. Each rotation will consist of a combination of hands-on experience, access to a planful curriculum, and a formal mentoring program to prepare you for a dynamic career. This program offers optional rotations with the ability to rotate into one of the many departments that leverages geospatial analytics while learning from different business insights & analytics leaders within Travelers.
As a Geospatial Consultant within the Business Insights & Analytics Leadership Development Program, you will be expected to take initiative, embrace change, actively listen to and support diverse points of view and celebrate the success of others. If this is more than you imagined in a career in insurance, we encourage you to join us at Travelers.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
The program is multi-faceted and offers a business insights & analytics and business development curriculum focused on analytics, insurance, strategy, leading self and influencing others. Other program components include formal mentoring, networking and career guidance.
BI&A LDP Geospatial participant duties will vary based on the specific rotation, but each geospatial rotation will at least feature:
Creating, analyzing, and interpreting spatial data to support business needs. Our geospatial work features a broad range in several experiences at Travelers that can develop knowledge of geographic information science, platform technology, statistics, spatial thinking, remote sensing, location intelligence issues, and the social/physical sciences to characterize events, discover relationships and trends. Positions within this family work with business customers to determine how business intelligence information and analytic solutions can be leveraged to provide business insights for business strategies, capabilities, and processes.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Science, Geography is required.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States now and in the future.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater preferred.
- 1- 2 years of experience with GIS principles and practices in a college setting preferred.
- Previous experience in GIS mapping software and platforms, ESRI ArcGIS Pro preferred.
- Working Knowledge of Python for various GIS use cases preferred.
- Understanding of geospatial concepts and map projections preferred.
- Geocoding and geoprocessing experience with a basic understanding on how to create spatial data preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Accountability - Strong track record of taking ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and results.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking - Demonstrated aptitude in identifying current or future problems or opportunities, analyzing data, synthesizing and comparing information to understand issues, identifying cause/effect relationships and exploring alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience - Ability to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Customer Focus - Proven customer service skills with the ability to provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Emotional Intelligence - Demonstrated track record of self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal - Excellent communication skills with the ability to actively engage with others while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Judgment/Decision Making - Capability of exercising sound judgment, making decisions and committing to a position.
- Leveraging Differences - Proven capacity to works with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and view those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management - Strong relationship management skills including the ability to seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork - Ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Work Ethic - Possession of a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done; inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.