Nonprofits Insurance Alliance (NIA) is the nation’s leading property and casualty (P&C) insurer exclusively serving nonprofit organizations. Founded in 1989 in Santa Cruz, CA, NIA is a social enterprise developing the long-term sustainability of the nonprofit sector. NIA has one of the best customer retention rates in the industry and has a well-established track record as an innovator in the areas of corporate social responsibility (CSR), specialized coverages, members services, and employee engagement.
The Project Manager will report directly to the CEO with a dotted line reporting relationship to the Risk Council.. The Project Manager provides the CEO and Risk Council with regular reports on the status of all projects companywide to insure they are delivered on-time, within scope and within budget. This position will provide one central hub for all project management functionality. All projects can and should be run through this office. The project manager assists all departments to make sure that project scope, goals, resource allocation, and timeframe are established and approved prior to the beginning of project and monitors all projects through completion, assisting departmental project leaders as necessary to make sure that projects stay on time and on budget and in accordance with company strategy and practices.
This position works out of the main office in Santa Cruz, CA or can be a remote, work from home position. Prior experience working remotely from a home office 100% of the time is required if the candidate works remote.
The Project Manager is responsible for defining and managing the program-related governance process, procedures, templates, etc. supporting individual project teams and ensuring effective communications, planning, execution and governance. Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide a structured governing project management body
- Create a well-defined project management process or methodology, best practices and standards
- Recommend project software and trains on the set up and use of project planning software companywide
- Assist in the development of project scope, goals, resource allocation, and timeframe of projects companywide
- Assist all departments in forecasting requirements, preparing project budgets, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions
- Resolve problems, completes audits, identifies trends, determines system improvements, and implements change to enhance projects companywide
- Develop project scopes and objectives and make sure that all relevant stakeholders are involved and the appropriate people are assigned to the project
- Provide coaching companywide on project planning and execution to help the employees best positioned to complete them
- Create and maintain centralized comprehensive project documentation before, during and after projects
- Identify and manage potential risks and liabilities of multiple projects
- Provide CEO and Risk Council with regular progress updates on all projects companywide and offers options for improvement as necessary and escalates as needed at any time
- Assure smooth communication across teams when multiple departments are assigned to the same project to ensure team actions remain in synergy
- Communicate with CEO and Risk Council to keep all projects aligned with established organization goals
- Perform quality control on projects throughout development to maintain the standards expected using appropriate verification techniques to manage changes in project scope, schedule and costs
- As directed, work with organizational leaders to adjust schedules and targets on projects as needed
- Motivate people throughout the organization to help the projects to be completed on time and in conformance with expectations.
- Support the Risk Council by organizing and documenting the strategic planning process and annual establishing of objectives
- Monitors and reports regularly to Risk Council on progress on annual objectives
Project Manager Qualifications / Skills:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Project and process management
- Negotiation skills
- Budget development and tracking and managing P and L’s
- Mentoring and coaching
- Critical thinking
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to bend, reach or sit for up to 3 hours at a time
- Must have adequate vision (with corrective lenses, or other accommodative devices if needed) to clearly view computer screen
- Must have adequate hearing to perform job tasks
- PC literacy required; proficiency in Windows, Word, and Outlook preferred.
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- Eight to ten (8-10) years of experience as a project manager
- Bachelor’s degree in project management, business administration, or related field or equivalent years of experience listed above
- Insurance or Financial Services experience strongly preferred
- PMP Certification preferred
- Prior experience establishing a PMO preferred
- Proficient with spreadsheet software and project management software
If you are interested in applying for a position, please submit your resume and a cover letter that tells us why you want to work for AMS, a member of the Nonprofits Insurance Alliance via our Career Page.