Litigation Adjuster - Construction and Bodily Injury claims
Merchants Insurance Group, is a leading Property and Casualty Insurer in the Northeast, and is looking for an experienced Litigation Adjuster for our Construction Claims team to join our Corporate Headquarters located in Buffalo, New York Corporate Office. The safety of our colleagues, both current and future, is Merchants Insurance Group’s highest priority. At this time, most of our colleagues are working remotely due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. The candidate selected for this position will be trained remotely and must be able to work from home in a designated work area until such time as it is determined to be safe for colleagues to return to the office.
The Litigation Adjuster will become part of a dedicated claims team focusing on construction claims, including bodily injury claims implicating the NY Labor Law and construction defect claims. This position interacts extensively with internal colleagues as well as policyholders, agents, attorneys and a multitude of claim-related service providers. Occasional travel is required for mediations, settlement conferences and trial attendance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Cultivating relationships with claims and other internal staff, policyholders, attorneys, agents and a variety of service providers and experts all while working towards achieving the most optimal outcomes for Merchants and our policyholders.
- Providing a high level of customer service while managing a portfolio of complex and high exposure construction claims.
- Evaluating coverage by interpreting/applying policy language to claim facts and preparing appropriate and timely coverage position letters.
- Conducting and directing timely and quality claim investigation, evaluation and equitable settlement of all assigned claims.
- Ensuring timely and accurate reserves consistent with established reserving philosophy and practices.
- Negotiating fair and equitable settlements directly with claimants.
- Identifying risk transfer opportunities through trade contracts and/or applicable law.
Qualifications & Skills
- Qualified candidates will have a 4 year degree or equivalent work related experience.
- A minimum of 5 years experience handling construction claims, including New York Labor Law and construction defect litigation is preferred.
- Candidates with a JD and insurance defense experience looking for a new career path are encouraged to apply.
- Professional designations or working towards industry specific designations are a plus.
- Exceptional organization, communication and negotiation skills are required.
Merchants Insurance Group Benefits:
- Welcoming and positive work environment
- Flexible work arrangements, including flex scheduling and summer hours
- Competitive pay scale
- Generous paid time off package
- Full Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short Term Disability, 401(k) employer match amount is 100% up to 6% of your annual contributions. You are immediately 100% vested in the employer match dollars.
- Two outstanding company bonus programs
- Tuition Reimbursement
And many more exciting company benefits!!
Please visit our company website to apply online at: www.merchantsgroup.com. EOE