Divisional CIO, Investments
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Allstate Investments manages close to $90 Billion of assets across portfolios for three major clients for Allstate to meet their investment objectives. The business model provides the foundation for daily decision-making and portfolio management. Allstate Investments strives to provide sustainable, competitive, risk-adjusted investment returns and investment-related services for the benefit of the Allstate Corporation. The size of the investment group exceeds 300 individuals across a variety of investment disciplines including taxable and tax-exempt fixed income, equities, private and alternative securities and commercial mortgages as well as accounting, finance and technology.
Investments Technology is a support function to the Allstate Investments team focused on initiatives including architecture, application development, data management, portfolio services & infrastructure, public & private market operational services, windows/desktop services and testing & release management. The team has employees in Illinois, Northern Ireland and India.
The role of Chief Divisional Information Officer (CDIO) is to lead the IT organization by: fostering the development of a common vision; providing clear direction and priorities; clarifying roles and responsibilities; recognizing and removing barriers to progress; encouraging and empowering others to achieve; creating enthusiasm and a desire to excel; accurately assessing the strengths and development needs of team members; giving timely, specific feedback and coaching; providing challenging assignments and opportunities.
The role is responsible for providing leadership to the organization by growing him/herself, growing others and growing the business.
The Investments CDIO will manage an IT organization of approximately 60 people responsible for technology supporting the front-to-back investment processes. Investment technology echo system consists of third-party platforms such as BlackRock Aladdin, Eagle, eFront, as well as internally developed analytic systems and data warehouses. This person will be responsible for execution of strategic transformational initiatives, development of cutting-edge data and analytics tools, and optimization of investment technology stack. This person will report to the Investments Chief Investment Officer, and have a secondary reporting line into the Allstate Enterprise Technology Organization.
The role of the CDIO is to lead an organization within the IT department that consists of several individual organizations. At this level, the manager sets the strategic direction for their organization in support of the business objectives of the company, ensuring the structures and processes needed to effectively deliver the mission of their organization are in place. They create a work environment that enables their employees to be their best and deliver on their accountabilities. They are personally accountable for creating organizational change, delivering business results by working across the organization and development of employees. They demonstrate a broad level of influence across the IT organization, with their business partners, peer leaders and senior leaders.
Accountable for creation of environment of safety and innovation within their organization. Director is a role model for inclusive behaviors across all levels of employees.
Models and creates an environment of accountability for multiple organizations, peer groups and senior leaders by setting clear performance objectives in support of business outcomes.
- Establishes vision, direction and specific objectives for multiple organizational areas and is able to successfully integrate them
- Collects multiple levels of staff performance data against desired outcomes and service level agreements ensuring that strategic outcomes at the broader organizational level are achieved.
- Coaches senior leaders on personal development. Leads organizational focus on talent development, succession management and building bench strength.
- Creates and leads change across multiple organizations in alignment with enterprise change initiatives. Uses personal influence to enlist employees and peers in implementing change.
General Management & Decision Making
- Is a technology thought leader. Develops complex ideas and organization strategy that have long-term, strategic impact and aligns with Enterprise direction. Responsible for implementation of strategy including high level planning of work and resources across multi-year timeframe.
Communicates strategy to the organization so they understand their roles, are motivated to achieve established goals and have line of the sight between their work and Allstate strategies. Converts thinking of others or gains acceptance of complex ideas where difficult but necessary to achieve goals and objectives.
- Leads multiple teams in achieving significant, complex assignments. Creates structures and processes that provide oversight of budgets and delivery yet allow employees freedom of action.
- Applies knowledge and efforts to diverse and complex situations, where alternatives are numerous, to drive business solutions on behalf of the organization. Makes decisions that have an impact on quality or effectiveness of business activities beyond their area of responsibility.
- Fosters innovation. Creates structures and processes that promote an environment of innovation and experimentation for direct reports, peer groups, leaders and the organization.
- Highly proficient in the business of information technology with a demonstrated understanding of technology strategy and emerging trends in the industry.
Business Partner Management
- Leverages external industry relationships to improve the Enterprise. Serves as a representative of Allstate in the industry when necessary.
- Active member of the Investments Management Committee (MC).
- Partner with CIO office, portfolio and risk management, financial planning and reporting, and operations functions to deeply understand their processes and develop technology solutions
- Influences individual contributors, managers, partners, service providers, senior leaders and peers to successfully deliver on business commitments spanning multiple organizations and levels of complexity.
- Leads the process of setting and managing expectations; continually seeks opportunities to be a thought partner and increase internal and external business partner satisfaction and deepen relationships.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; Advanced degree (e.g. M.S. or MBA desirable)
Experience: 10+ years of technology management experience in financial services; including leading leaders; should include accountability for all aspects of leading an organization including people processes, client/partner relationships, work processes and delivery of work products.
Experience with buy or sell-side capital markets highly desirable in public markets, private markets, or both
Depth of experience in data analytics and data-driven decision making highly desirable
Familiarity with 3rd party vended platforms in the asset management space is desirable. Examples would include Blackrock Aladdin, Eagle PACE, Eagle Performance, eFront FrontInvest, Argus Enterprise, etc.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.