VP, Credit & Market Strategy
As the VP, Credit and Market Strategy, you will collaborate with other members of the OCIO to provide dedicated portfolio management strategy formulation and oversight for the companys investment and pension portfolios. You will focus on credit and market research and analysis to help Assurant formulate actionable views on value and risk in investment portfolios across market segments. The position works with the Internal CIO and SVP, Portfolio Strategy and Analytics to advise on strategic asset allocation, guidelines/limits and credit risk management. You will help develop tactical exposure views and collaborate on high touch manager governance and evaluation. As the VP, Credit and Market Strategy, you will also be responsible for in depth credit exposure oversight, credit analysis and exposure management, evaluation and recommendation on specific credit situations and assistance in exploration of alternative asset classes and strategies.
- Independent high-level economic and macro research focusing on economic backdrop and relevant market trends to identify risks and opportunities
- Independent intermediate-level credit research focusing on relevant trends in the credit markets across industry sectors/key issuers, capital structures, credit term structures to identify sources of value and risks
- Using assembled information to assist in developing and articulating internal views of tactical near-term biases and actionable items for portfolio positioning, rebalancing and investment of new money
- Collaborating with the internal senior investment team to oversee outside manager positioning, transactions and active exposures on a periodic basis to ensure managers are appropriately aligned with internal views, biases and risk tolerance
- Deep dive into specific credit situations and exposures to form internal views and be able to articulate and instruct managers accordingly
- Assist with research and recommendation on credit-oriented derivatives hedging on as needed basis
- Primary liaison with managers credit research teams on a periodic basis.
- Participate in internal and external communication, including committee presentations, of relevant macro, portfolio positioning, credit exposures and strategy information
- Contribute to the development of the internal outsourced investment model to ensure it aligns with industry best practices
- Contribute to the development and evaluation of peer analysis on portfolio positioning
- Collaborate on evaluating alternative asset sectors from a credit perspective.
- Participate on relevant committees on an as needed basis
- Additional related duties as assigned
Basic Qualifications Required - Experience, Skills, and Knowledge
- Bachelors Degree required, preferably in Accounting, Finance, Economics or Business
- 15+ years of relevant work experience in portfolio management and credit research function in an institutional asset management company, or a comparable investment platform
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Knowledge
- CFA highly desired
- MBA highly desired
- Knowledge of insurance portfolio management, considerations and constraints
- Deep knowledge of domestic fixed income markets across a variety of dimensions
- Extensive background in fixed income portfolio management, credit and macro research and analysis.
- Experience working with a full range of fixed income asset classes including fixed income, structured products including CLOs, and derivatives
- Extensive analytical skills
- Strong communication, debate and presentation skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability to deliver high-quality and executive-ready work product in a timely manner
- Organizational skills and flexibility in handling multiple demands and changing priorities
- Proven ability to problem solve, provide new ideas and suggestions
- Limited travel required