Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Communications Sr. Consultant will assist in creating and executing effective public relations programs in support of Business Insurance, while also providing support on other communications issues under moderate supervision.
As a member of the Corporate Communications team, this individual will help enhance the company's image by managing media issues and promoting the value that the organization brings to consumers and businesses across the country. This role requires the strategic management of various communications activities, with a heavy emphasis on writing and media relations. The individual will work closely with the team and assist in providing public relations counsel to executives, collaborate with PR agency resources and will work with marketing and communications peers across the company. In this role, the individual will also leverage company resources to further business objectives and maximize external communication opportunities.
This role does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
This individual's primary duties will include assisting in providing public relations support to Business Insurance as well as supporting several corporate communications projects.
The individual will:
Assist in providing media relations and communications support to company management helping to protect the company's image while assisting to grow and promote the business through thought leadership.
Assist in delivering professional public relations counsel and advice to executives, as well as writing services to positively position the company externally.
Assist in developing company position statements on various industry matters and trends, press releases, reports, media lists, etc.
Manage external communications activities for business unit projects, which includes the initiation, planning and management of media relations programs as needed.
Develop strong relationships with a wide range of reporters.
Develop reports on individual projects and overall results.
Identify emerging issues in the business environment, the insurance industry and industries the corporation serves.
Assist the team in identifying newsworthy trends and ideas that will insert Travelers into the media dialogue.
- Bachelor's degree in in English, journalism, PR, communications or writing or minimum of 2 years of related communications experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
College graduate with courses in journalism or a related field. A minimum of 3 to 5 years previous experience in public relations, media relations or journalism, including corporate in-house PR or working at an agency. Experience within the insurance industry is preferred, but not a requirement.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
This position requires an individual to have the ability to:
- Relentlessly focus on details;
- Deliver clear, concise writing;
- Be a self-starter who can work independently and proactively develop and present new ideas;
- Be driven and motivated to consistently produce work of the highest quality;
- Have strong Microsoft Office skills;
- Be imaginative, creative, and employ excellent written and verbal communications skills and business foresight;
- Problem-solve on external and internal issues that cross several business divisions;
- Effectively work with reporters and internal constituents to identify timely responses that help position Travelers in the best light possible;
- Respond effectively to tight time schedules and construct and operate within project budgets;
- Work effectively across teams and businesses, thriving in a collaborative environment with matrixed responsibilities, goals and objectives; and
- Integrate understanding of industry/consumer/professional/social issues and trends into project objectives and results.
The incumbent has a direct impact on corporate credibility, visibility and recognition among investors, policyholders, agents and brokers, the news media and the public at large. This individual reports directly to the Senior Director, External Communications.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.