Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryWe are looking for a Legal Cost Reviewer with previous experience working with litigation and legal billing practices, civil court rules and procedures (in the UK or Ireland) or prior experience of handling complex claim litigation. You will primarily be responsible for reviewing outside counsel's invoices for compliance with Travelers' Retention and Billing Policies, best practices and claim-specific instructions and ensure charges are otherwise reasonable. You will collaborate with Travelers colleagues to manage claims and with outside counsel regarding changes to their bills.
We aim to offer an inclusive and flexible approach to how and when you work, as well as good work-life benefits. We are happy to discuss all types of flexible working with you, when you join us for your interview. While we may not be able to accommodate exactly what you want, we are always open to having the conversation.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Be Committed, Be Connected, Be Creative and Be Energised - these are the values we are passionate about. Understanding and embracing our values will shape your success and contribute to making this a great place to work. The following key activities form a core part of your role;
- Reviews and determines accuracy of law firm invoices ensuring compliance with Travelers' billing policies and department specific direction and are otherwise reasonable.
- Makes quick, sound decisions and negotiate resolution of billing issues or disputes.
- Ensures prompt, accurate and efficient auditing of submitted legal fee and expense invoices and amends as appropriate.
- Engages in written and/or verbal communications with law firms and/or the Travelers employees managing the matter.
- Serves as a technical resource to other claim professionals and various stakeholders, providing consultation and training regarding legal bill review and related best practices where appropriate.
- Assists and provides input to identify new improvement or innovative opportunities and aids in the understanding, assessment and removal of barriers to success.
To be successful you will need to consistently deliver a great experience in every customer contact; connect with the right partners internally to find creative solutions to problems; be a role model and behave in a way that actively supports an inclusive work environment; and consistently deliver on your commitments.
- Previous experience working with litigation and legal billing practices, civil court rules and procedures of England and Wales or prior experience of handling complex claim litigation.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Ideally previous experience working with litigation and legal billing practices and procedures of Ireland.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills
- Excellent negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Experience with one or more electronic billing technologies
- Experience at an insurance carrier reviewing/auditing outside counsel's legal bills
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Strong communication (written and verbal), influencing, negotiating, listening and interpersonal skills to effectively develop productive internal and external relationships.
- Builds and maintains working relationships with peers and other professionals across organizational lines.
- Leading Self:
- Presents a positive professional image. Exhibits courage, conviction and credibility. Acts decisively to tackle difficult problems. Demonstrates Self-Awareness a strong drive to achieve with a balance of humility.
- Planning and Organization:
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Advanced attention to detail ensuring accuracy.
- Problem Solving:
- Applies critical thinking and synthesizes information to identify key issues and make decisions. Effectively work through conflict and resolve issues with a professional demeanor.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.