PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of the position is to partner with key stakeholders to drive the strategic direction for a portfolio of insurance product line(s) across all distribution channels and brands. The position is responsible for monitoring and influencing all aspects of product performance to achieve Company revenue and performance targets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Ideates and develops business initiatives using product knowledge and results.
- Participates in collaborations with the head of product line underwriting unit(s) to develop product strategy and action plan to achieve growth and profit objectives.
- Owns inputs to bi-annual premium and exposure projections supporting financial budgeting and pro-forma processes and understand projection framework.
- Provides expert insights regarding profitability, retention, and growth strategies through the integration of the underwriting, marketing, policyholder services, distribution, claims, actuarial, data analytics, customer, and digital experience.
- Collaborates with other functional departments to coordinate timelines for delivery, maximize the effectiveness of programs, direct implementation of product strategies, and drive cross-functional alignment and engagement for initiatives supporting product objectives.
- Develops and maintains templates to perform competitive research and deliver competitive analyses.
- Develops proficiency in use of internal analytical tools (spanning underwriting, marketing, customer behavior, and claims).
- Performs data analyses concerning loss patterns, market forces, risk distributions, and agency management to evaluate the success of current strategies to either modify or create new strategies targeting production, product pricing, underwriting, contract changes, or agency changes.
- Assesses the impact of changes on the in-force book, new business production, and agency force.
Drives initiatives for strategic product development.
- Applies business content knowledge in identifying priorities and executing strategic product initiatives to achieve business objectives.
- Monitors the marketplace to identify competitor and industry changes impacting effectiveness or compliance of current and proposed programs.
- Partners with Actuarial team to determine and implement appropriate pricing and program structure to achieve product goals, and design and execute product rate plan and state level enhancements across jurisdictions ensuring all changes are communicated to field services, operations, underwriting, marketing, and system technology teams.
- Partners with Underwriting team to facilitate changes to processes or systems, or respond to questions, and ensuring communication to affected parties.
- Analyzes the performance of existing products and leads the creation of business cases for the development of changes to existing products or development of new products.
- Maintains knowledge of available internal and external data sources, including accuracy and completeness, to select the proper data set(s) for evaluation.
- Organizes and structures product definitions to ensure efficiencies in downstream reporting processes.
- Directs the implementation of underwriting guideline changes.
- Collaborates with strategic planning groups to incorporate enterprise class system solutions supporting the future product roadmap.
Acts as subject matter expert in the maintenance of current products, filed product changes, and design and delivery of new products in development.
- Collaborates with Enterprise Marketing, Legal, Compliance, Underwriting, and Actuarial Departments to manage the implementation of all ratemaking bureau rules, and coverage changes, including coordination with the rate filing analyst
- Keeps abreast of distribution channel needs through involvement in agency facing initiatives, and regular reporting on direct to market strategies available in the industry.
- Develops expert knowledge of ratemaking bureau underwriting manuals and company exception rules and maintains knowledge of any changes. Documents and memorializes changes.
- Researches issues or concerns around underwriting rules, including historical company filings in independent ratemaking bureaus to confirm adherence and direct changes.
- Maintains knowledge of rules, regulations, nuances in states of operation and engage with product line underwriting unit(s) to invoke needed changes or identify training in support of a self-sustaining culture.
- Proactively engages with Underwriting and Legal to ensure insurance policy provisions comply with state law.
- Partners with Compliance Department to identify and close any gaps in rules, respond to changes in rules, and remediate across systems, processes, reporting.
- Participates in regulatory approval of filings, market conduct exams, and internal responses to any state filing objections to facilitate modifications.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from a college or university required with a major or emphasis in Business, Computer Science, Math, or related field. MBA is a plus. Minimum 4 years of experience in insurance product management or related field required. Insurance industry knowledge or demonstrated work experience required. Exposure to industry recognized product management curriculum, or demonstrated experience preferred. Experience managing complex, large-scale, high risk product development projects preferred.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Knowledge of actuarial practice area is a plus. Extensive knowledge of the insurance industry, commercial lines preferred. Resourcefulness to research industry topics and develop proficient knowledge of internal systems and constraints to aid in managing individual state compliance. Highly developed quantitative analysis, decision making, and project management skills. Demonstrated ability to solve complex business problems, consistent with a deep understanding of the strategic direction of the business. Strong leadership, written and oral communication, and teamwork skills required. Strong organizational skills. Ability to hold effective meetings, including setting agendas and attendees, time management, and documentation of meeting outcomes.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) preferred.
This position maps to the Individual Contributor level. Additional competencies required: None.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit or periodically stand and work on a computer for 80-90% of time. Will be viewing a video monitor 80-90% of time. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 5 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.