Full Stack Engineer (Java/React)
Avail is a new car sharing platform focused on improving mobility and reducing the cost of car ownership. We give car owners a way to earn extra income from their idle cars and connect drivers with a convenient, affordable way to drive a car when they want.
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
- You are passionate about software engineering and you like working with fun people
- You measure success by delivering working software and end user satisfaction
- You have a desire to reimagine our business for the customer’s benefit
- You are comfortable with ambiguity, and even use it to drive better ideas, work and success
What You Will Do
In this role, you will serve as a member of the Rapid Prototype and Development team in Tempe, AZ. You will practice and be the champion of Agile delivery utilizing Continuous Integration & Deployment practices. You will own the full stack of software products; developing and implementing frontends (web or mobile), and backend services. You will leverage test driven development and continuous integration to ensure agility and quality of products.
You will actively participate in the decision-making process of the team ensuring that the simplest appropriate technology and design is chosen to meet user needs. You will coach other team members, creating an environment of continuous learning, and constantly challenging and stretching the knowledge of the team.
- Participates in iteration planning and ensures the team has a common understanding of each story and chore in the backlog
- Leads and participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
- Participates in retrospectives to gather feedback and derive actionable items to improve the team and the product
- Participates in executing the strategy, keeping the customer needs and wants in mind
- Serves as an expert on a specific business domain and demonstrates leadership and accountability on at least one technology stack
- Provides input into the architecture and design of the product; collaborating with the team in solving problems the right way
- Practices daily paired programming and test-driven development in writing software and building product
- Coaches more junior team members around different technologies and XP practices
- Participates in knowledge sharing, and contributes to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the team.
A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field, including a solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals
- 3+ years of developing and implementing IT systems at scale
- Recent experience working in an eXtreme Programming (XP) or agile environment
- Thrives in a paired programming environment where TDD techniques are embraced
- Strong verbal communication and collaboration skills
- Experience designing applications iteratively – you will not receive a full spec upfront and will need to feel comfortable thinking things through, filling in the blanks, and iterating across sprints as we receive feedback and pivot based on customer feedback
- Experience developing software in different programming languages, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new languages
- Able to learn new technologies, and teach other members of the team
- Strong understanding of distributed systems, operating systems, networking, databases, security, and analytics
- Clear understanding of cloud services, deployment models, and distributed systems
Technical - Required
- Recent experience with our core technology stack: Java, Spring/SpringBoot, React.js (minimum 2 years)
- Recent experience in Test Driven Development; including testing frameworks (such as junit, mockito, jest, react testing library, cucumber, etc)
- Recent experience in developing/consuming REST APIs (including OpenAPI spec, REST-docs, versioning, service discovery/registration, monitoring, testing and management, familiarity with tools like Postman and Swagger)
- Solid knowledge of object-oriented programming, design principles, and design patterns
Technical - Preferred
- Experience with data layer (SQL or similar query language), data constructs (XML, JSON), and ORM tools (Hibernate)
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.