Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryTravelers is seeking an initiative taking, experienced technical engineer to promote modern application and infrastructure monitoring, alerting, performance management approaches and practices across a wide range of platforms. Cross functional role aligning with the enterprise tools/standards while working with the infrastructure organization. Proactive in applying tools to monitor systems at all levels, anticipate issues and implement solutions before they impact users. When there are production issues - outages, slowness, processing delays, errors and failures - this role will take ownership to triage, escalate and work with subject matter experts for quick resolution. Work will be performed in an Agile environment.
Under limited supervision, demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of the activities performed related to engineering support, installation and/or operations of application and infrastructure technologies. Plans at a tactical level and manages through influence the effective use of technology resources and tools for assigned projects and functions. May direct assigned team members, to develop and/or implement, complex technology solutions supporting overall system health for one or more business and/or technology areas. Develops and implements appropriate solutions that may involve multiple platforms, databases, software/hardware technologies and tools promoting strong end to end stability. Embraces continuous learning as technologies emerge while enhancing, building on current monitoring and alerting capabilities. Contribute to high impacting technology issue resolutions through triage, engaging appropriate subject matter experts through critical analytical and technical knowledge. Facilitates and/or understands database systems to identify incident root cause. Strong ability to multi-task in an an environment of constantly changing priorities. This job is a leader who takes ownership for both pro-active and reactive technology outcomes aligned to objectives and KPI's, while demonstrating a broad understanding of technology stacks.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops tactics and operational plans in alignment with strategic objectives for assigned technologies and projects.
- Drives the execution of departmental and corporate programs.
- Identify components of the applications and infrastructure susceptible to performance, stability and scalability issues.
- Leverages application and infrastructure technology to develop and/or redesign technology solutions, including but not limited to monitoring, alerting, performance, scalability and stability.
- Seeks opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Leverages and maintains effective alliances across technical and business community demonstrating strong communication skills
- Interacts with customers to achieve efficient, effective and measurable results.
- Updates operating reports and presents to all levels of the organization.
- Multi-tasks, prioritizes according to business priorities and production availability requirements.
- Seen as a technical expert and consults across infrastructure and application areas.
- Act on high impacting incidents during business and non business hours to triage, investigate and resolve. Includes driving out root cause analysis.
- Develop or implement visual tools for technical and business teams to observe system health - metrics, monitoring and alerting.
- Metrics and reporting tool skills to trend, analyze different data sets for improvement and insight.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience, plus five years of experience in Technology required;
- Alternatively, a Master's degree in CS or a related field and three years of work experience in Technology
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Seven years of experience in Technology preferred.
- Two years of experience as a technical lead preferred.
- Hands on experience analyzing hardware and software logs and metrics.
- Advanced knowledge of infrastructure technologies such as Network, Database, Server, Storage etc. preferred.
- Broad based experience and exposure to different architectures a real plus.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Expert knowledge of one or more of the following technical skills:
- Foundational IT Infrastructure
- Operating Systems
- Knowledge of process discipline and Agile, IDLC methodologies
- Knowledge of monitoring, alerting tools like Dynatrace, App Mon, Kibana, Grafana, Greylog, New Relic, Open Shift, Kubernetes for distributed and mainframe environments.
- Understanding of cross platform technologies: AWS, C#, .Net,, ASP.Net, Web APIs, SQL, MS SQL Server, Java script, Angular/HTML/CSS and IIS or equivalents.
- Data Analytics
- Nice to have: Experience with multi-site on-premise and in cloud hybrid software and hardware environments. Familiarity with public cloud resource orchestration (memory, storage)
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment
- Sitting (can stand at will)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.