Underwriting Technical Assistant
- Apply rules and rates to unique rating situations involving new and renewal policies and endorsements and apply this criteria to accommodate the commercial lines automated system or other automated systems as required.
- Rate policies and/or prepare quotes as required, including checking internet for website information (i.e. superpages.com & bluebook.com), and checking machinerytrader.com for all IM pieces greater than $100,000. Work within specific authority levels to quote and modify risks within territorial assignment in accordance with accepted underwriting guidelines. Apply knowledge and understanding of coverage forms, rating plans, company guidelines, and individual authorities.
- Processes or assists in the processing of new policies, renewal policies, endorsements, manual policy issuance including OFAC screening, handle BORs in accordance with established guidelines and process reports, payment, and correspondence under the direction of assigned underwriters.
- Assist underwriting unit in obtaining and analyzing reports regarding risks. Analyze risk documentation (e.g.: applications, loss experience, Safety Management surveys, Risk Meter reports, WCP Experience Modification Data Sheets, ISO Specific Rates, MVR's, etc.).
- Input underwriting information regarding new or renewal policies on appropriate automated systems, and utilize other available automated systems efficiently and effectively. Responsible for the maintenance of account files (i.e. paper and automated), checking and updating account information, and filing and archiving files to ensure prompt and accurate service. Ensure proper pricing of individual risks through proper classification, accuracy of information and adherence to company underwriting standards and philosophy.
- Analyze and process Workers Compensation bureau notices for all States associated with Region. This will require the understanding of each States requirements for reporting experience mod changes whether paper or electronic, electronic filing with NY and being proficient in utilizing reporting tools provided by the different bureaus and NCCI.
- Handle verbal and written correspondence with agents and/or insureds as required. Maintain suspense system for outstanding underwriting items.
- Identify exposures and make proactive recommendations. Identify authority referrals; prepare facultative reinsurance, individual risk and retro filing submissions.
- Investigate and resolve policy related inquires and problems (e.g.: bureau criticisms, DMV problems, MVR issues, ITV's, etc.).
- Service customer billing inquiries which requires the ability to reconstruct account billing activity based on knowledge of the billing system, develop payment plans beneficial to company and client adhering to company guidelines and authority level, and conduct appropriate follow up to confirm adherence to revised payment plan. Record actions through billing system based on reporting guidelines.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 5-7 years of Commercial Lines experience
- Insurance Institute of America (IIA) Certification preferred
- Demonstrate proficiency in the usage of all supplied desktop tools; including the automated underwriting system and email
- Display confidence and a willingness to take ownership of a request or problem
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate the ability to see the big picture while responding to changing conditions
Selective is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Selective maintains a drug-free workplace.Qualifications
Licenses & Certifications