Senior Software Engineer
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
THIS OPPORTUNITY IS AVAILABLE NATIONWIDE FOR HOME BASED WORK
In this role, you will serve as a senior member of the Product Solutions development team, delivering the next generation of Allstate products. You will own the full stack of software products with a focus on backend services. You will leverage Test Driven Development to develop and implement backend services that integrate seamlessly with the appropriate internal and external services. Additionally, you will take an active part in the decision-making process and help ensure that the best solutions are chosen to meet user needs. You will help coach more junior team members, creating an environment of openness and continuous learning.
- Participates in iteration planning meetings ensuring that the team has a common understanding of each story and chores in a team’s backlog
- Participates in daily site, cross-site, and product team standups
- Participates in retrospectives to gather feedback and derive actionable items to improve the team and the product
- Participate in executing the strategy, keeping the customer needs and wants in mind
- Collaborates within the team in designing systems and apps
- Practices Agile and test-driven development methodologies in writing software and building products
- Establishes continuous integration, continuous delivery, and continuous deployment pipelines and practices
- Supports software products in user environments
- Participates in knowledge sharing, and contributes to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the team
- Ensures code quality through performing and receiving peer reviews
- Strong understanding of computer science concepts, object-oriented design principles
- Experience developing software in different programming languages, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn new languages, including but not limited to Java (Spring), .NET
- Experience in backend development design and implementation; database (relational, NoSQL, caching), messaging (e.g. Kafka) and big data development, implementation and optimization
- Experience in Test Driven Development (TDD), including knowledge and experience in testing frameworks such as JUnit, Mockito, etc.
- Experience and knowledge in developing and consuming REST APIs, including tooling for documentation (such as Swagger, OpenAPI spec, Postman), versioning, service discovery & registration, testing & management (experience using API gateways is a plus).
- Experience working with data via data constructs (XML, JSON, AVRO)
- Experience developing Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipelines for distributed apps, including experience with tools such as Jenkins, Artifactory, and Gradle.
- Experience working in a cloud environment such as AWS, Pivotal, etc.
- Experience working in an Agile environment (Scrum or XP preferred) using Continuous Integration/Delivery
- Strong verbal communication and collaboration skills
- Experience designing and delivering applications iteratively
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and programming languages and teach other members of the team
Education and Experience
- 3+ years developing and implementing software systems at scale
- A college degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science or similar field
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.