PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Provides administrative support and overall assistance to Claims Examiners to assure the timely payment of benefits and administration of claims in compliance with state law.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides administrative support and overall assistance to Claims Examiners
- Contacts insured or other involved persons to obtain necessary information to process claims.
- Documents conversations or information to claim file note pad.
- Stays current with diary tasks.
- Provides training and mentoring for newer Claims Assistants Provide claim support
- Provides customer service such as giving information to insureds, injured workers or providing referrals to outside vendors as requested by Examiner.
- Processes claims for indemnity payments.
- Processes non-medical payments.
- Organizes and works with Examiner using computer to enter, access, search and retrieve data.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Strong understanding of insurance claims principles. 1-3 years experience as a Claims Assistant. Excellent phone skills. Strong computer typing skills and data entry experience. Attention to detail. Ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.