Assurant has an exciting opportunity for an Accounting Analyst!
The Accounting Analyst provides accurate and timely financial information to internal/external customers, Segment and Corporate management, and to regulatory agencies on behalf of Segment and Corporate management. The position serves as subject matter expert in the interpretation and application of broad areas of accounting theory, exercises influence to drive results in the accomplishment of goals, and plays a leadership role in enhancing existing processes by identifying alternative solutions and leading implementation efforts. The Accounting Analyst is familiar with a variety of process concepts, best practices and procedures and provides guidance and development support to accounting staff.
Position will cultivate a continuous improvement culture, promote ongoing learning and exhibit a high level of engagement in a fast-paced F&A shared services environment. The ideal candidate must be able to contribute to the Shared Service strategy and execution by applying knowledge and experience while helping develop the staff as a whole.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Ensures complete, accurate and timely accounting deliverables in accordance with pertinent accounting guidance and state and federal regulation
- Is considered a leader and/or technical expert in areas of responsibilities and can ensure requirements are understood and met by internal and external resources
- Formulates, develops and administers procedures necessary to implement approved policies and procedures, and provides the overall direction necessary to ensure the delivery of efficient and effective processes
- Collaborates with contributors and coworkers to identify, propose and implement approved issue resolution alternatives; leads implementation of portions of agreed upon solutions, including training other staff or process participants
- Suggests and supports the establishment of metrics/performance reporting. Monitors and improve key performance indicators
- Supports improvement of and compliance with internal controls including SOX and MAR
- Assist AFS management to help build AFS Brand with leadership by example. Take on assignments new to AFS and apply experience to propose practice and procedure. Identify and communicate areas of inconsistency, offer alternative solutions for improvement in quality and process
- Builds relationships throughout the organization and continually strives to identify ways in which areas of responsibility can assist the business and corporate segments to achieve their strategic goals. Ability to work with other internal departments to resolve process or system issues
- Keeps up-to-date on latest functional, management and process trends to identify and implement best practices
- Understands strategy and is appropriately connected to strategy through operating goals and measurements
- Lead and/or support strategic and work projects as appropriate
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS
- Serves as a subject matter expert to less experienced employees
- Reviews and analyzes financial information prepared by others
- Provides work direction to other team members; provides necessary training and guidance to other staff
- BA or BS in Accounting, Finance or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of general accounting experience, insurance preferred
- 2+ years working in a shared services environment preferred
- CPA or CMA a plus
Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of progressive accounting practices and procedures
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements (i.e. MAR, SOX, audits)
- Problem analysis and resolution at a functional level
- Ability to influence peers within AFS and segments, building effective relationships in a multi-site, multi-function environment with the complexities of meeting the diverse needs of multiple business lines
- Ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and perform in a fast paced environment
- Strong organizational abilities with a high level of written and interpersonal communications skills in order to communicate effectively with various levels of management and staff personnel
- Commitment to company values
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Strong presentation skills
- Project experience
- Experience in a larger complex corporate environment
- Insurance industry experience
- Ability to work extended hours
Benefits and Value Proposition
- We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), generous paid time off and much more.
- We strive to maintain a professional, yet friendly environment and promote professional and career development for our employees.
Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district.