Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummarySupport the strategy directing and managing projects, people or innovation streams. Assist in directing the construction of a variety of statistical analyses including data mining, predictive modeling and/or actuarial techniques. Review analyses and provide direction and insight. Work within broad limits and authority on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge in breadth and/or depth in area of expertise which may be on or more of the following: Advanced statistical analyses. Actuarial and/or research methods. Broad business knowledge. In-depth Line of Business knowledge. Broader awareness of enterprise Analytics & Research community. May provide direction to a team of analysts and/or project members.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Direct and/or perform a variety of advanced statistical analyses including data mining and actuarial research techniques.
- Analyze/interpret data, draw business inferences and clearly articulate findings for target audience.
- May direct multiple complex research projects simultaneously as well as aspects of large and complex initiatives.
- Construct and present analyses and recommendations to target audience.
- May lead in-depth efforts in applying, validating and implementing predictive models.
- Develops new approaches to business problems.
- Proactively stay abreast of industry, developments, changing trends and jurisdictional issues.
- Direct industry analysis and benchmarking studies.
- Adjust strategy as appropriate to anticipate, respond to, and manage trends.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners.
- Develop new approaches to business problems.
- Partner with peers across the company to ensure consistency and alignment where appropriate.
- PhD STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) degree with 2 years experience or Masters STEM degree with 5 years experience or Bachelor's STEM degree with 7 yrs or Bachelor's degree with FCAS designation and 4 years relevant progressive statistical analysis work experience required.
- Advanced working knowledge of modeling/research/analytics or actuarial required.
- Relevant statistical analysis work experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Relevant work experience in directing and performing research and/or advanced analytic work (e.g. predictive modeling) in the insurance industry preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Computer Proficiency:
- Ability to read/revise/review a statistical software program (e.g. R, SAS, SPSS.
- Ability to create advanced programs from scratch.
- Leading the Business:
- Problem Solving & Decision Making.
- Change Management.
- Influencing, Leadership, Power.
- Risk Taking, Innovation.
- Results Orientation.
- Business Perspective.
- Understanding & Navigating the Organization (Includes Collaboration).
- Leading Others:
- Forging Synergy.
- Communicating Effectively.
- Leveraging Differences.
- Building & Mending Relationships.
- Participative Management.
- Leading Employees.
- Employee Development.
- Leading Self:
- Openness to Influence.
- Self Awareness.
- Seeks Opportunities to Learn.
- Leadership Stature.
- Business Acumen:
- Understanding and knowledge of key business knowledge areas (e.g. product, enterprise, industry, claim process and competitors).
- Ability to leverage business knowledge to set strategies and approaches to execution.
- Critical Thinking:
- Ability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; ability to use reason; review facts, identify inconsistencies and weigh options; ability to make logical and timely decisions that address the right issues.
- Ability to develop advanced models and interpret model results.
- Understanding of advanced statistics underlying data models.
- Ability to apply new statistical procedures to work.
- Demonstrates excellent ability and knowledge of database principles, data profiling, statistics and insurance-related data modeling and can apply this knowledge in the most complex situations.
- Develops new approaches, methods or policies in the area.
- Is recognized as an expert, internally and/or externally.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.