Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryWe have a fantastic opportunity for a Senior Development Underwriter to join our successful Bond and Specialty Insurance (BSI) team helping a range of professional services firms manage their risk by providing financial or 'specialty' lines insurance coverage.
As a Senior Underwriter within the team you will produce and underwrite new and renewal business, executing regional and product underwriting strategies. In order to attract new business, retain existing customers and explore new areas of business you will interact and collaborate with a team of regional or product colleagues and other internal/external business associates. You will have direct responsibility for broker development and management as well as acting as a local expert and role model for other team members.
We aim to offer an inclusive and flexible approach to how and when you work, as well as good work-life benefits. We are happy to discuss all types of flexible working with you, when you join us for your interview. While we may not be able to accommodate exactly what you want, we are always open to having the conversation.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Be Committed, Be Connected, Be Creative and Be Energised - these are the values we are passionate about. Understanding and embracing our values will shape your success and contribute to making this a great place to work. The following key activities form a core part of your role;
- Underwrite and assess complex risk for products and accounts from assigned brokers, making appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority in addition to considered, intelligent, and complete recommendations to regional or product underwriting leadership. Consider different approaches toward risks to maximise profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security).
- Make prompt, sound decisions within underwriting authority and based on appropriate underwriting information.
- Negotiate terms and conditions consistent with regional or product underwriting requirements and standards within submission timeframe.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in Head Office, Risk Control, Claims, Actuarial, and as needed, any other parts of the organisation.
- Assure that policies and accounts are effectively underwritten, handled and documented in compliance with company and regulatory standards and requirements.
- Develop and leverage broker/client relationships through a high level of visibility and using a disciplined sales management approach (e.g., planning and follow-up for broker and prospective customer visits/meetings) in support of business objectives.
- Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products).
- Work with others to help achieve underwriting, sales and production goals and understand and work towards strategic objectives.
To be successful you will need to consistently deliver a great experience in every customer contact; connect with the right partners internally to find creative solutions to problems; be a role model and behave in a way that actively supports an inclusive work environment; and consistently deliver on your commitments.
- Previous experience of underwriting in management liability/professional indemnity/financial institutions required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- University degree and/or Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) Advanced Certification or Diploma preferred.
- General knowledge of industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the Line of Business.
- General knowledge of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight.
- Continuously seeks out market insight and uses acquired knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
Licensing or Certificates
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships or alliances to meet goals and achieve objectives
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external factors that impact the Lloyd's Market to make decisions
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships, and explores alternatives to support sound decision making.
- Utilizes understanding of finance and accounting principles to identify the impact of responsible underwriting decisions on the overall profitability of the business.
- Product/Technical: Demonstrates technical proficiency and application of knowledge commensurate to his/her underwriting authority.
- Makes sound quoting and pricing decisions that are in the Company's best interests.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Continuously)
- Sitting (Can stand at will) (Continuously)
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Continuously)
- Use of Display Screen Equipment (Continuously)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.