Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryUnder the direction of the Managing Counsel, has leadership responsibility for a group of assigned staff within a line of business or satellite office. Responsible for recruitment, retention, development, and performance management of assigned staff. Assists and substitutes for Managing Counsel to ensure the smooth functioning of the entire office. As a technical line of business expert, maintains an appropriate individual case load comprised of complex cases.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Has full responsibility to lead the staff within the line of business practice group or satellite office:
- Recruits and recommends hiring of staff within the practice group or satellite. Provides training. Is responsible for development, motivation, retention and performance management. Handles the PMR and discipline process as appropriate.
- Assigns cases to match experience, knowledge and skill level of attorneys adhering to specialization philosophy and established procedures.
- Responsible for all aspects of the practice group or satellite, including billing, monthly reporting, coordination of inventory and monitoring of spats and other office reports.
- Maintains caseload standards set by Managing Counsel.
- Manages legal expenses.
- Assists Managing Counsel with management of the office:
- Acts as backup for Managing Counsel in absence of Managing Counsel.
- Assists with initiatives within the office and throughout the Staff Counsel program.
- Assists with management of the overall office.
- Ensures that the practice group or satellite provides outstanding advocacy to clients and achieves excellent results on own cases and those assigned to Counsel within the practice group.
- Ensures completion of, initial case analysis, litigation plans, case evaluations, summaries, legal research, pretrial reports, trial reports and other required items (all case handling guidelines) in a timely and quality manner.
- Achieves desired results through effective advocacy and trial skills.
- Maintains high quality standards. Reviews files monthly focusing on quality as articulated on Quality Review Form. Uses file review database. Provides feedback and coaching to attorneys.
- Reviews pretrial reports and other reports for group; participates in trial committees.
- Ensures excellent service to clients:
- Ensures prompt and appropriate communication to insured and claim clients.
- Ensures clients are counseled effectively.
- Conducts training seminars as needed.
- Shares expertise and advises clients and other business partners on legal matters and changes in the law.
- Develops and implements strategies to address any identified deficiencies including prompt follow up and resolution of issues.
- law degree (JD)
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Critical Success Factors:
- Superior Legal Knowledge and Skills
- Leadership skills
- Conflict resolution/management
- Decision-Making and Problem-Solving
- Planning, Prioritizing and Goal Setting
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.