Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryTravelers is seeking a Software Engineer II to join our organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape. Individual will complete advanced end to end engineering tasks for specific system assignments including designing, developing, analyzing, configuring, testing, debugging, troubleshooting, documenting, health monitoring/alerting, and implementing based on user or system specifications, consulting with users to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications, managing interaction between the systems and other technical support areas and defining technical requirements and coordinating team resources to solve problems.
This position in our PI Technology Business Intelligence & Analytics area is responsible for designing, structuring, optimizing, implementing, and maintaining public cloud (AWS) infrastructures and Big Data Environments. Maintain both on-prem (Teradata and Big Data) and off-prem (AWS) environments
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Administer and provide technical guidance of our Data Platforms, providing Environment standards and Development Best Practice as we migrate workloads from our on-prem environments to the AWS public cloud environment.
- Perform analysis, design, development, and configuration functions (includes defining technical requirements) with a high degree of accuracy and speed, operating as an individual contributor to team goals.
- Perform analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of advanced complexity and escalate appropriately.
- Work independently to tackle well-scoped and loosely scoped problems.
- Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to less experienced employees.
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Two years of programming/development experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Four years of programming/development experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Implement and maintain AWS solutions using EC2, S3, RDS, Redshift, Snowflake, Application Load Balancer, Cloud Watch, and/or other supporting cloud technologies.
- Build environments using automation and configuration management tools (e.g. Cloud Formation/Terraform and Ansible/Puppet).
- Required - proficiency with AWS and general cloud infrastructure principles.
- Experience deploying software applications to production using tools such as Git, Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD servers, serverless functions (AWS Lambda, GCP Cloud Functions, etc.).
- Proficiency with a programming language such as Python/PySpark and SQL.
- Preferred -experience with application performance management and observation tools (i.e. Splunk).
- Delivery - Intermediate delivery skills including the ability to estimate accurate timelines for tasks and deliver work at a steady, predictable pace to achieve commitments, contribute to the software design strategy and methodologies used to best meet the system requirements, consider and build for many different use cases, avoid over engineering, and ensure automation, deliver complete solutions but release them in small batches, and identify important trade offs and negotiate them.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including understanding technical concepts necessary to do the job effectively and aware of industry trends, demonstrate willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues and priorities, and possess in depth knowledge of immediate systems worked on and some knowledge of adjacent systems.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who ensures solutions are built for the long term, is able to resolve new issues, recognizes mistakes using them as learning and teaching opportunities and consistently breaks down large problems into smaller, more manageable ones.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to articulate information clearly and concisely with the business, document work in a clear, easy to follow manner, collaborate well with team members as both a mentor and mentee, take in vague requirements and ask the right questions to ensure clarification, offer feedback appropriately and effectively, seek out and receives constructive criticism well, listen when others are speaking and make space for colleagues to share their thoughts.
- Leadership - Intermediate leadership skills with the ability to help create a safe environment for others to learn and grow as engineers and a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying opportunities and tracking team efforts.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Occasional travel may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.