Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryUnder general supervision, provide the Underwriter with account knowledge as it relates to hazards, controls, and management. They will need to evaluate how a company identifies and manages their inherent risk factors. Additionally they are expected to differentiate the account from others in similar classes of business. In this role the consultant will be working with our larger, more complex and all lines accounts.
This role reports to the Risk Control Field Director Managing Risk Control Consultant.
This job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Partnering and having joint ownership with Underwriting to select, retain, and grow a profitable book of business.
- Building and maintaining productive relationships with Underwriting, Claim, Risk Control Specialists, and Brokers to service customers as a unified team.
- Writing technically detailed reports that communicate a clear assessment of risk and effectively articulate recommendations.
- Discovering and evaluating customer needs through loss analysis and customer readiness in order to provide Risk Control products and services to help control losses.
- Staying current with technical subject matters, regulatory environment and emerging issues.
- Creating a valued customer experience through each assessment and service encounter.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in environmental health and safety, engineering, construction management, basic sciences and related technical fields required.
- 8+ years of experience in risk control or safety related positions in industries such as construction, manufacturing, or military required.
- Must have or be able to attain appropriate certification to meet specific state requirements where applicable.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Insurance industry acumen.
- Graduate degree in related field.
Licensing or Certificates
- Recognized relevant certifications (such as ASP, CSP, ARM, CFPS)
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical aptitude, detail oriented
- Superior communication skills - both written and verbal
- Ability to quickly establish credibility and rapport with all others
- Experience working in a collaborative environment
- Critical thinking skills
- Influencing skills that effectively drive business needs
- Negotiating change to achieve optimal outcomes
- Ability to give and receive coaching and feedback
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Exposure to Excess Noise (Occasionally)
- Exposure to Dirt, Dust, Fumes, Smoke, Gases, or Other Irritating Substances (Occasionally)
- Exposure to Variable Weather Conditions (Frequently)
- Operate or work around moving machinery (Frequently)
- Travel (Varies with Territory Geography)
- Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently)
- Standing (Frequently)
- Climb ladders and stairs and transition to access building roof areas and multi-story buildings. (Frequently)
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently)
- Driving (Daily)
- Walking on surfaces that are uneven, wet, icy, and somewhat unstable. (Frequently)
- Climbing unprotected heights (ladder, rooftop, stairs, loading dock) (Frequently)
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.