Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryWe are looking for an Associate Underwriter with some previous Property and Casualty or Commercial Combined underwriting experience to join our team in London. In this role you will primarily focus on renewals with some new business as well as assisting the wider underwriting team. You will be responsible for making sound underwriting decisions and offering a superior and responsive service to our customers.
We aim to offer an inclusive and flexible approach to how and when you work, as well as good work-life benefits. We are happy to discuss all types of flexible working with you, when you join us for your interview. While we may not be able to accommodate exactly what you want, we are always open to having the conversation.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Be Committed, Be Connected, Be Creative and Be Energised - these are the values we are passionate about. Understanding and embracing our values will shape your success and contribute to making this a great place to work. The following key activities form a core part of your role;
- Underwrite and assess risk to maximise business growth and profitability for allocated book of business. Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority in addition to considered, intelligent and complete recommendations to technical underwriting/business leadership.
- On pre-agreed accounts, actively participates and supports Development and Renewal Underwriters in new business, renewal and mid-term alteration underwriting activities that support underwriting decisions, consistent with business growth and profit.
- Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/ information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards.
- Understand, embrace, and execute Travelers' underwriting strategies and principles to produce budgeted results.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in other parts of the organisation, including Head Office, Risk Control, Distribution, Claims, Actuarial, etc. as needed.
- Actively engage and seek out training opportunities to further develop underwriting and sales expertise.
- Working with the Development Underwriter, develop and leverage productive relationships through broker visibility and a disciplined sales management approach (e.g. planning and follow-up for broker and end customer interaction, visits and meetings) all in support of business objectives.
- Working with Distribution, effectively assist in the development, documentation and execution of sales plans with emphasis on increasing marketing and sales activities outside the office. Work tactically with brokers to ensure they have an appropriate level of understanding of TICL goals and objectives.
- Actively participate in regularly scheduled sales and underwriting meetings.
- Work effectively as a productive and supportive team member in conjunction with more senior team members, supporting business unit and company objectives.
- Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products) to meet Travelers' service standards
To be successful you will need to consistently deliver a great experience in every customer contact; connect with the right partners internally to find creative solutions to problems; be a role model and behave in a way that actively supports an inclusive work environment; and consistently deliver on your commitments.
- Previous experience of underwriting in Property and Casualty classes of business.
- Incumbents are required to hold a full and valid driving licence.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- University degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of the local insurance marketplace. Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn about the enterprise and business unit critical business issues and financial drivers.
- Working knowledge of organisational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities.
Licensing or Certificates
- Chartered Insurance Institute (CII) Certification preferred
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Basic Product/Technical proficiency commensurate to incumbent's underwriting authority.
- Demonstrates basic ability in the areas of customer focus and positive broker interaction.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.