Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryAt Travelers, our Field Operations organization plays a critical role in delivering on our Business Strategy through the execution of operational capabilities . We're investing in transforming the way we deliver on our operations execution and strategies aligned to business outcomes; profitable growth, outstanding customer, agent & employee experience and evolving our operational capabilities. Our 2VP Field Operations leadership role is accountable for defining and leading the strategic operations priorities. You will be responsible for defining and implementing these business strategies, working in partnership with Operations and Underwriting teams, to effectively achieve policy service objectives. This role will understand the business landscape, make connections across businesses, generate solutions and ensure the appropriate implementation. As a member of the leadership team, our 2VP Field Operations has three primary responsibilities. First, to direct the account management and services activities for the business and effectively manage all operations and processes associated with policy service activities. Second, to lead Strategic and Change management efforts within the business, transform and continuously improve field operations capabilities to attract, acquire, service, grow and retain commercial accounts; and meet profitability targets and deepen agency relationships while lowering operating costs. Third, deliver on our commitment to our talent through development and coaching, and institute change in our evolving skillsets and expectations. Overall, this role requires the ability to oversee the Operations and ensure the seamless integration, communication and execution of business strategies.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Partners with business areas and Business senior leaders to define and execute against our operations strategies.
- Accountable to direct the account management and services activities nationally for the Business. Effectively manage all operations and processes associated with policy service activities (i.e., support business from initial submission and quoting through new business and renewals policy issuance, endorsements and accounting for the policy life cycle).
- Implement and execute performance standards and monitoring of key success measures to achieve targeted business results and service level standards in line with business unit goals.
- Ensure priorities are responsive to marketing, new business, underwriting, servicing and retention decisions.
- Assure all related activities are delivered in a manner consistent with customer service, quality and expense management expectations.
Strategic and Change Management Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and implementation of strategic and targeted operational initiatives. development/implementation.
- Transform field operations capabilities support to attract, acquire, service, grow and retain small commercial accounts.
- Meet profitability targets and deepen agency relationships while lowering operating costs.
- Collaborate with business centers, offshore partners, marketing and field and home underwriting, and HO management to identify technology opportunities, process changes and training needs, assess quality/performance standards for the account support/services staff.
- Develop and deliver tactical business planning and monitoring decisions/activities designed to support marketing and underwriting strategies that are consistent with retention goals.
- Establish and maintain positive and productive relationships through on-going dialogue with RVPs, MDs & agents/brokers. Proactively assess operations performance to identify and resolve issues.
- Direct and manage account support activities to meet production goals; assure compliance and performance standards are achieved; provide management information as necessary; and utilize all available resources in a cost effective manner.
- Proactively monitor and provide financial and operations results. Develop and execute action plans to address missed goals or objectives.
- Manage and direct the effective implementation of new technologies and the utilization of existing systems.
- Perform all necessary staff management functions to support profit, growth and expense management goals.
- Development of talent and evolution of skills and performance expectations and succession plans. Coach, counsel, evaluate, and develop Operations Directors and Managers.
- Develop and implement long term Account Manager staffing plans to anticipate turnover and job market conditions.
For jobs in Business Insurance: Provide detailed analysis and discussion of results, drivers and action plans as displayed in Field Services Operating Review monthly to Business Operations Sr. Management and Business partner leadership. Maintain solid partnerships with the Business Center, Business Operations and other internal and shared services teams. Meet regularly to surface issues and trends affecting the field marketing offices. Act as liaison for Operations Directors with Service.
- 7 years experience in operations or related field (e.g., underwriting, sales) required
- 4 years management experience required
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College degree in Business, Finance or Insurance
- 4 or more years managing staff
- Strong understanding of Property-Casualty products and services
- Systems/Technical background
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), management, leadership, interpersonal, problem solving, decision making and customer focus skills
- Demonstrated ability to support or manage and implement project tasks/projects, set clear direction by defining goals and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Able to demonstrate thorough understanding of business and financial acumen and proactively makes recommendations.
- Expert presentation skills used to influence other leaders across the Business and Enterprise.
Licensing or Certificates
- CPCU, CIC or similar insurance designation a plus
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Possess excellent leadership skills; particularly the ability to define goals, drive results, institute change, and develop a management strategy for short and long-term success.
- Ability to influence key decision makers to challenge conventional practices and instill customer insights and data analytics into decision making processes.
- Sets and drives cross-functional objectives and priorities and forms a vision for the future.
- Strong skills in people development and succession planning. Challenges employees to take responsibility for their performance and their development.
- Takes responsibility for decisions and actions.
Strategic and Critical Thinking:
- Proactively defines and drives the change agenda and executes strategy
- Excellent leadership & communication skills with ability to gain credibility at all levels, deliver an inspirational message and drive engagement
- Views self as a business partner, not individual contributor.
- As a change champion, leads and welcomes innovative ideas and drives continuous improvement, process improvement, and service optimization.
- Committed to identifying customers' needs and takes appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Leads with a sense of urgency.
Technical Skills and Competencies:
- Understands account support/services and responds to all related issues, concerns and problems to achieve desired goals. Strong operational skills (systems, policies, procedures, etc.).
- Exhibits ownership of business results
- Evaluates business condition and translates the solution into a manual and/or automated process.
- Able to evaluate and operationalize the business needs of the account.
- Applies critical thinking
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.