Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThis is an entry level position that requires satisfactory completion of required training to advance to Claim Rep, Inside Property-Hub position.
This position is intended to develop skills for investigating, evaluating, negotiating and resolving claims on losses of lesser value and complexity.
Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations.
As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Completes required training program which includes the overall instruction, exposure, and preparation for employees to progress to the next level position. It is a mix of online, virtual, classroom, and on-the-job training. The training may require travel.
- The on the job training includes practice and execution of the following core assignments:
- Handles 1st party Property claims of low to moderate severity and complexity as assigned.
- Establishes accurate scope of damages for building and contents losses and utilize as a basis for written estimates and/or computer assisted estimates.
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine coverage, damages and liability of first-party property claims under a variety of policies. Secures recorded or written statements as appropriate.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate, estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits and deductibles and work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Negotiates and conveys claim settlements within authority limits.
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence to insureds.
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations per Knowledge Guides.
- Maintains an effective diary system and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all other internal and external customers/business partners.
- Recognizes when to refer claims to Special Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Provides multi-line assistance in response to workforce management needs; including but not limited to claim handling for Auto, WC, GL and other areas of the business as needed.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- In order to progress to Claim Representative, a Trainee must demonstrate proficiency in the skills outlined above. Proficiency will be verified by appropriate management, according to established standards.
- High School Diploma or GED and one year of customer service experience OR Bachelor's Degree required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's Degree preferred or a minimum of 2 years of work OR customer service related experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response to all assigned tasks - Basic
- Verbal and written communication skills -Intermediate
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy - Basic
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment managing multiple priorities - Basic
- Analytical Thinking - Basic
- Judgment/ Decision Making - Basic
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.