Commercial Lines Underwriter
Donegal Insurance Group is a regional property-casualty insurance company doing business in 26 states, headquartered in Marietta, PA, with 7 regional offices located in Athens, GA, Le Mars, IA, Grand Rapids, MI, Albuquerque, NM, Greenville, OH, Glen Allen, VA, and Sheboygan Falls, WI.
Donegal offers a broad range of personal and commercial insurance products sold exclusively through our network of independent agents. We are committed to the independent agency system and proud of the company's heritage, which spans over 130 years. Donegal's strong financial foundation and successful operating strategies have earned the company a rating of 'A' (Excellent) by the A.M. Best Company, the nation's leading insurance rating organization.
Donegal Insurance Group has an opening for a Commercial Lines Underwriter in Marietta, PA. We are seeking an experienced commercial underwriter with a minimum of 3 years of multi-line experience to join our team. The successful candidate will be responsible for the evaluation, selection and pricing of commercial accounts while managing a territory of independent agents to ensure that profitability and growth objectives for the company are met.
The ideal candidate shall display a proven track record of success in managing a profitable book of business in the independent insurance agency system. They must be able to manage relationships, overcome objections and possess strong communication, organizational and computer skills. Insurance designations preferred.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage a territory of independent agents to ensure that profitability and growth objectives for the company are being met
- Review new business applications to evaluate degree of risk involved; accept or decline risks based on companys underwriting policies
- Maintain a profitable book of business within assigned levels of authority by using sound underwriting judgment and technical skills, and continued personal development to meet the company goals of quality and timeliness
Qualifications and Skills
- 3 to 5 years of underwriting experience at a company or agency level. A minimum of 3 years of underwriting experience should be in the commercial lines sector of insurance
- Demonstration of self-development through attainment of professional insurance designations, CPCU, ARM, PLU, etc
- Bachelors Degree with a background in insurance or equivalent experience
Donegal Insurance Group offers a comprehensive benefits package for all full-time, permanent positions. Learn more about our benefit offerings by visiting our Benefits page.