Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryTravelers is one of the pre-eminent insurance companies in the world - priding itself on multi discipline collaboration and thoughtful analysis. It is home to a strong actuarial community covering pricing, portfolio management, capital modelling and research and development.
Now is the best time to join us as we are creating new job opportunities for skilled Actuaries to contribute their voice to the development and future of our function.
As a Pricing Actuary with us you will be responsible for developing rates, rating plans, pricing strategies and financial forecasts in order to achieve our objectives for profitability and growth.
You will typically be newly qualified with some post qualification experience and use this experience to act as mentor to more junior members of the team; providing advice, direction and support for those undertaking professional qualifications.
We aim to offer an inclusive and flexible approach to how and when you work, as well as good work-life benefits. We are happy to discuss all types of flexible working with you, when you join us for your interview. While we may not be able to accommodate exactly what you want, we are always open to having the conversation.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Be Committed, Be Connected, Be Creative and Be Energised - these are the values we are passionate about. Understanding and embracing our values will shape your success and contribute to making this a great place to work. The following key activities form a core part of your role;
- Working with senior management to ensure the department achieves the following areas of responsibility in accordance to the business plan:
- Uses the appropriate systems and pricing tools to develop and implement sound rates and/or rating plans/models.
- Works with Underwriting teams to develop and price new products.
- Supports Underwriting in the pricing of large complex deals not adequately handled by pricing models.
- Provides analysis of trends/factors/issues impacting Underwriting results and works with Underwriting to determine action plans.
- Management Information:
- Works closely with the Business Intelligence team, to develop data retrieval, categorization and reporting systems.
- Oversees the production of reports required to monitor progress in improving profitability and implementation of business initiatives.
- Identifies potentially useful areas of research and makes recommendations to business units accordingly. May develop and work with predictive modelling concepts.
- Project Mgmt:
- Participates in key/complex actuarial projects, including cross-company actuarial initiatives to include possible presentation to senior management. May take on responsibility for smaller projects.
- Provides leadership, guidance, mentoring and coaching as appropriate to junior members of the team and provides support and advice to those undertaking professional qualifications.
To be successful you will need to consistently deliver a great experience in every customer contact; connect with the right partners internally to find creative solutions to problems; be a role model and behave in a way that actively supports an inclusive work environment; and consistently deliver on your commitments.
- Assists the senior management team in determining goals and setting direction for the business unit.
- May be responsible for managing complex projects.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Demonstrable experience performing quantitative analysis required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Qualified Actuarial Qualification preferred (IFoA or equivalent).
- Significant quantitative analysis experience.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to present and translate complex information in relevant business terms.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.