The actuarial field is an important and rapidly growing career in today's society! Here at ICW Group, the growth has been unstoppable. As we work on increasing our current business as well as adding new line(s) of business, it's crucial we have an expert and thoughtful leader to join us. We are looking for a Director & Actuary to help support the actuarial department, provide guidance to the team, and contribute to the success of the company. If you have experience in pricing for the property & casualty industry, and are looking to take that next step in your career, then apply today!
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of this job is to produce complex analyses and provide expert actuarial advice to the Actuarial team. This position exists to support and execute Company strategy as directed by the Chief Actuary, while establishing and upholding a department direction and vision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Establishes and upholds a department direction and vision.
- Contributes to discussions around establishing vision and direction for the actuarial department.
- Represents the company in business settings and potentially with external parties.
- Responsible for developing new business processes or comprehensive analytic efforts.
- Ensures that the work product supports business growth and profitability.
- Takes responsibility to extensively modify processes in order to improve accuracy and efficiency.
- Invokes critical thought process to solve complex problems and identify dependencies in processes to enable direction of staff.
- Ensures soundness of actuarial analyses and consistency with Standards of Practice.
Partners with business leaders to provide expertise on business efforts.
- Partners with business leaders in administering an entire line of business or other area of responsibility similar in scope and complexity.
- Organizes and coordinates actuarial efforts with business leaders to develop and implement new products and expand into new markets.
- Fosters positive, collaborative working relationships with higher level experts across the organization.
- Acts as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for actuarial matters.
- Prepares and communicates actuarial findings to business leaders.
Develops and manages a team of Credentialed Actuaries and Actuarial Analysts
- Provides direction to team. Communicates Mission, Values and other organization operating principles to the team.
- Establishes high standards for the delivery of services and products rendered, resulting in an excellent customer experience. Ensures that the entire team is engaged and that leadership practices encourage development, recognition and retention.
- Establishes and adheres to hiring criteria, on-boarding and training requirements for incoming staff.
- Oversees the performance management and development process for the team and performs performance management duties, development planning and coaching for direct reports.
- Acts as a resource for team members to answer questions and solve complex problems.
- Manages budget, technology and other resources, workload and customer requests for services. Ensures adherence to all Company policies and procedures and Compliance responsibilities
- Ensures data quality, adherence to IT security guidelines, profitability and other risk-related metrics for self and members of the team.
This position directly supervises employees within the Actuarial department and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university: Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or related degree, preferred. Minimum 7 years of related experience and/or training; or, equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
ACAS or FCAS designation.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Strong interpersonal skills and proven leadership ability. Thorough knowledge of actuarial models and ability to assess results. Experience managing complex projects, resources and staff. Broad company and industry experience and expertise, with the ability to work collaboratively with other business leaders to solve complex business problems. Ability to mentor and train actuarial staff. Ability to take actuarial ownership of significant segments of responsibility, including multiple lines of business. Ability to influence the strategic vision of the actuarial department.
Office environment no specific or unusual physical or environmental demands and employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
This position maps to the Manager/Director level. Additional competencies required: None.
This position operates in an office environment and requires the frequent use of a computer, telephone, copier, and other standard office equipment.