Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryUnder direct supervision, this position has responsibility for inspecting, estimating, negotiating, and evaluating 1st and 3rd party auto physical damage claims, including both personal and business insurance claims. The claim types will be basic to moderate physical damage coverages as it relates to damage assessment. This includes collision, comprehensive, property damage related to autos, rental and towing as well as fire, theft, flood, lightning, diminished value claims and any claims that involve injuries. The actual resolution and settlement of these claims will be the responsibility of the Auto Claim Professional. This position also has responsibility for complete claim handling (i.e. first notice of loss through resolution/settlement and payment process) on claims that meet specific criteria as defined by Auto Product guidelines. This subset of claims makes up approximately 15-20% of the total workload volume. This position will serve as a technical resource for inside auto claim staff and will provide advice and direction to claim professionals on claim damages to achieve optimal outcomes. This job does not lead others. As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Delivers consistent service quality throughout the claim life cycle, including but not limited to prompt contact, explaining the process, setting expectations, on-going effective communication, and follow-through and meeting commitments to achieve optimal outcome on every file.
- Effectively manages work assignments and promptly travel to location of vehicle / equipment. Arranges to view vehicle / equipment if not readily accessible.
- Scopes claims utilizing technical expertise and information gathered to accurately determine physical claim value of claims using company recognized resources, estimating and evaluation software.
- Establishes the physical damage claim value of assigned losses.
- Prepares and documents accurate vehicle / equipment damage appraisals, Actual Cash and Replacement values according to applicable regulatory and corporate guidelines.
- Partners with the assigned Claim Professional throughout the life of the claim. Partners from initial investigation through final recovery to ensure appropriate claim resolution and pursuit of alternative recovery sources (e.g. Subrogation, SIU, etc.).
- Negotiates the claim with the customer and/or repair facilities leveraging appropriate resources and achieve agreement on value including required payments.
- For applicable Total Loss claims, determines settlement amounts, including applicable coverages and deductibles.
- Negotiates and conveys claim settlements within authority and initiate payment to the customer, including total loss, rental reimbursement, etc.
- Partners with the Auto Claim Professional throughout the life of the claim. Partners from initial investigation through final recovery to ensure appropriate claim resolution and pursuit of alternative recovery sources (e.g. Subrogation, SIU, etc.).
- Provides all lines of business and departments, i.e. property, Boat and Yacht, Inland Marine, Public Sector, etc. with inspection assistance as needed, including Catastrophe response.
- Effectively manages work assignments and tracks savings and referrals.
- For claim types that meet the specific criteria as defined by Auto Product guidelines for complete claim handling
- ( i.e. first notice of loss through the resolution/settlement and payment process) the following duties are concurrent with those listed above:
- Reviews and analyzes coverage and apply policy conditions, provisions, exclusions, and endorsements pertinent to a variety of 1st party auto damage claims.
- Conducts damage management including properly managing the repair process.
- Establishes timely and maintains appropriate claim and expense reserves.
- Develops, documents and continually updates a plan of action, including maintaining an effective diary to manage file inventory and bring the claim to resolution in a timely manner.
- Communicates claim damage assessment following negotiation of value with repair facilities.
- Obtains authorization to initiate payment to the customer/repair facility.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- High School Degree or GED with a minimum of one year auto appraisal experience required.
- Valid Driver's License
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Associates Degree, Bachelors Degree or Technical School Degree preferred.
- 2 years auto appraisal experience preferred; prior experience with insurance carrier preferred.
- Strong technical background including extensive knowledge of auto repair and repair techniques, including thorough understanding of auto terminology and construction preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Thorough knowledge of claims appraisal systems and overall claim operations, Windows proficiency, including Excel and Word.
- Ability to promptly travel, with little or no advance notice, demonstrating effective planning, expense and cost control skills.
- Strong mathematical and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response to all assigned tasks.
- Strong teamwork skills.
- Ability to remain current on jurisdictional laws and regulations, and communicating compliance requirements to other claim staff as appropriate.
- Commitment to continuous education.
- Competency Levels:
- Analytical Thinking Basic
- Judgment/Decision Making Basic
- Communication Basic
- Negotiation Intermediate
- Insurance Contract Knowledge Basic
- Principles of Investigation Basic
- Value Determination Intermediate
- Settlement Techniques Intermediate
- Auto Technical Intermediate
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment
- Requires extended periods of computer use
- Requires extended periods of driving
- Other (Must be able to stoop, bend, crouch and climb, to ensure full vehicle damage assessment)
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.