Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryUnder general supervision, responsible for managing and developing a mid and/or moderately complex group of agency assignments. Position accountable for: Optimizing growth potential of a core group of Travelers independent agents while prospecting and appointing new agencies. Exceeding or meeting year over year growth and profit objectives; utilizing Travelers sales tools within a consultative sales framework. Developing competitor intelligence. Collaborating with team members in the region, home office, and business center on product, pricing, and agency management decisions. This position does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Agent Support:
- Responsible for substantial and/or complex Agency assignments. Applies agency diagnostics and segmentation for owned agents. Leads presentations and appointments for owned agents.
- Applies process of appointing new agents that meet production expectations of new business at Travelers. Prospects for new business.
- Identifies opportunities to cross sell Travelers products and shares information with other Sales Execs and/or agents.
- May facilitate workshops.
- Influencing the Sales:
- Responsible for profitable development of all agencies within assigned territory or agency assignment. Influences agents to quote and sell Travelers products to customers.
- Executes the sales strategy of growing Travelers market share in the territory by appointing and coaching new agents.
- Articulates a sales process that is mutually beneficial, and identifies solutions to agency needs.
- Provides consistent follow up and follow through with agents, peers and other team members.
- Agency Diagnostics:
- Completes strategic marketing plans for territory to identify opportunities and potential challenges from which strategies and tactics are developed.
- Builds and uses best practices regarding Agency Operations, works consultatively to follow up with plans, holding process owners accountable for agreed upon actions.
- Effectively understands and considers operational differences between small and large agencies.
- Diagnoses agencies' interests and ability to grow business and motivates agents to succeed.
- Initiates systematic marketing processes within each agency to attract and retain new business. Recommends business solutions (3R's) and programs to meet objectives.
- Directs customer service issues to appropriate resources, elevates all unresolved matter to ensure resolution. Validates data used to make strategic market changes.
- Has thorough knowledge of Travelers' computer systems and PIs platform; Assists agents with system/platform issues, and provides training as needed. Coordinates with trainers as needed; Ensures that agency staff are fully trained (products, services, automation and HQ in total).
- Identifies book transfer opportunities, negotiates transfer commitment, ensures successful outcome.
- Maintains flexibility in working with all social styles.
- Develops strategic agency plans that require disciplined accountability and follow up to meet business objectives.
- Understands Travelers Enterprise focus and appetites and seizes opportunities to cross-sell Travelers products by initiating cross-functional meetings.
- Stays current on product and pricing changes.
- Articulates company position and seeks out business with appropriate agencies to meet company objectives.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional sales experience is required. A minimum of 3 years of experience working with customers in the Insurance industry is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience.
Licensing or Certificates
- Not Required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Intermediate knowledge of Agency Diagnostics: (Ability to accurately assess agency operations and provide strategic sales and marketing insight).
- Advanced ability to Influence the Sale: ability to convince current and prospective agents to represent and promote Travelers products and services.
- Intermediate ability to Advise Agents.
- Intermediate ability to deliver results: ability to focus on the bottom line and push self and others to meet set goals.
- Advanced Relationship Management skills: superior interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with internal and external customers.
- Advanced Communication skills: strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to deliver professional presentations.
- Advanced ability to demonstrate resilience: Maintains a high level of commitment to personally getting things done, assuming personal responsibility for achieving outcomes and works effectively with little direction. Dependable and responsible.
- Demonstrates advanced problem solving skills and ability to exercise decisive Judgment.
- Demonstrates Integrity.
- Intermediate technical savvy: Knowledge and or ability to learn new systems, applications and programs quickly and then to be able to explain to others.
- Advanced skill of Driving for results: Self-assured, responds confidently to objections, and does not give up easily. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft office products with ability to manipulate data in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint quickly and accurately.
- Intermediate Skills/Competencies: Demonstrates solid knowledge and ability and can apply the competency in the full range of typical situations with minimal or no guidance. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations.
- May guide other professionals.
- Advanced Skills/Competencies Defined: Demonstrated advanced knowledge and ability and can apply the competency in new or complex situations.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.