Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryLOCATION NOTE - This role is based full time on site in Hartford, CT. This is not a role that can be done remotely. Candidates who post to this role should be willing to relocate to the Hartford, CT area if selected.
As a member of Enterprise Customer Experience team, you will be responsible for leading and facilitating design thinking activities at various stages in the journey re-design lifecycle.
You will leverage an iterative, user-centered approach to conceive and deliver valuable new experiences for our clients and agents.
You will drive the design and delivery of best practice user research, including framing key questions, creating research plans to address those, conducting research, and synthesizing findings into meaningful, actionable insights.
In addition, you will lead in the creation of professional-level deliverables that clearly and persuasively communicate the UX strategy, findings, and reasoning behind it. These deliverables include research plans and protocols, research findings, personas, journey maps, workflows, and wireframes.
You will collaborate closely with product managers, product designers, developers, and various other stakeholders to identify what will be most critical to the success of the journey redesign.
You will identify opportunities to apply new tools and technologies that will help enrich the capabilities provided to customers and agents.
You will be an advocate for design thinking, helping drive adoption in the company. You will identify best practices for user research, as well as the use of empathetic iterative methods for design thinking.
Note - This role does not manage staff.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
The Senior Director, Customer Experience Strategist is part of the journey core team. The role is responsible for assisting in creating satisfying and compelling solution concepts and re-imagined journeys, based on customer research and industry best practices. The role partners with journey owner, UX, and Technology leads to make design and prioritization decisions with the goal of developing the journey's MVPs and RICH opportunities.
- Facilitates Design Thinking Activities throughout the journey lifecycle
- Leads journey re-designs by leading human-centered thinking and zero-based design exercises for a wide range of audiences with a focus on the customer experience.
- Tailors the design/research approach to any audience and flexes as plans/priorities evolve with the changing landscape.
- Defines, plans, executes and interprets customer research, interviews, & collates data
- Leads ethnographic studies and concept testing
- Interprets customer research to generate insights to develop and implement solution concepts based on the findings.
- Articulates latent needs of customers to business stakeholders through empathy driven storytelling
- Works closely with business, functional and technology teams and create/facilitate human centered design activities that drive a differentiated customer experience.
- Serve as an advocate and champion for the customer centric, research, & design cultures to stakeholders with little experience partnering in human centered design.
- Provide a clear, consistent perspective on contemporary experience design practices in our Agile software development process and creating next generation user experiences for new enabling technologies
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in customer experience, UX design, human centered design, design thinking, or facilitation or related.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Background/degree in human factors, design, business, market research, innovation or similar field
- 7+ years of experience planning, conducting, and communicating the findings from user research (qualitative and quantitative)
- Experience with leading Customer Experience engagements.
- Experience with workshop facilitation
- Experience with agile methodology
Licensing or Certificates
- Certification in Human Centered Design and/or Design Thinking
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Extensive facilitation experience
- Demonstrated ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
- Experience planning and conducting both quantitative and qualitative user research at all stages of product development
- Ability to frame key questions, create research plans to address those, conduct research, and synthesize the findings into meaningful, actionable insights
- Excellent collaboration and teamwork attitude
- Deep expertise in interaction design, information architecture and workflow analysis
- Fluent with Agile software development methods and tools
- Strong portfolio of applying user-centered design practices in the development of software applications
- Comprehensive knowledge in researching design trends and interpreting/applying them at the appropriate time
- Experience in evaluating solutions using: design trends, heuristic reviews, competitive benchmarking, formative, and summative usability studies
- Ability to design and conduct user testing and concept validation - i.e. identify potential solution options for a stated user need and design experiments that help elicit the most viable solution for users
- Knowledge of creating low-fidelity to high-fidelity prototypes
- Experience working with third party suppliers, partners
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.