Underwriter/Senior Underwriter, Energy
1 day left
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
James River Insurance is seeking candidates for its Energy underwriting division and will consider hiring at the Underwriter, Senior Underwriter, Underwriting Specialist and Executive Underwriter levels. The successful candidate will be responsible for selecting, reviewing, modeling, analyzing and underwriting complex submissions within the context of applying the division’s underwriting guidelines and standards. Determines the proper terms and conditions for acceptable risks including rating the account to develop the appropriate premium. Responds to brokers when particular risks do not meet underwriting guidelines and offers alternative options and cross sell other products. Provides assistance to other team members including the Division Manager in a variety of areas including referrals and identifying new opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Continuously exhibit and uphold Core Values of Integrity, Accountability, Communication and Teamwork, Innovation and Customer Service Analyze new business opportunities and develop renewal strategies Attain quote, premium and division goals as assigned Develop and maintain strong relationships with brokers Use critical thinking and problem solving skills to negotiate with brokers on placements Assist the Underwriting Manager/Division Manager with training, mentoring and on-boarding of new employees. Travel to meet with brokers within assigned territory at least three times per year Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively and properly select, evaluate, model, determine coverage, rate, document, quote and bind accounts Ability to effectively assess risk Excellent verbal and written communication skills Ability to work independently or in a team environment to complete assignments within the parameters of instructions given, prescribed processes and standard accepted underwriting practices Solid knowledge of underwriting philosophy and techniques Proven problem solving and decision making skills Strong negotiation skills Ability to multi-task High level of initiative and motivation Strong work ethic with a drive to succeed Solid customer service and relationship building skills Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Internet researching
Experience and Education
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience Minimum of 2 years of related underwriting experience preferably in Excess and Surplus lines with focus in Energy related risks Preferably pursuing courses toward professional designations or continuing education.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience Minimum of 5 years underwriting experience, preferably in Excess and Surplus lines with a focus in Energy related risks Professional designation is preferred
- 15+ years industry experience, 10+ years in Excess and Surplus lines with specialized coverage and Energy product knowledge Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience Specific experience in marketing and underwriting of the division related products Professional designation is preferred
- 20+ years industry experience, 15+ years in Excess and Surplus lines with specialized coverage and Energy product knowledge Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience Specific experience in marketing and underwriting of the division related products Professional designation is preferred