Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Manager, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic leadership role that encompasses the shared responsibility of project and strategic execution with actuarial, analytic and business partners, in addition to assigned operational assignments which may include reserving, rate-making, pricing, planning/forecasting, project management and research. The individual in this role is expected to be an influential member of project teams, providing analytical insights and recommendations to leadership and Business unit partners. The Manager, Actuarial and Analytics will work on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or depth in one or more of the following areas: Actuarial and/or research methods Advanced statistical analyses Solid business knowledge Line of Business knowledge
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in a lead role in the successful execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Develop solutions to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Propose change and innovation in order to improve project team performance and timelines.
- This position will often participate on cross-unit initiatives and may participate on Enterprise initiatives.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Support and drive components of unit initiatives. Begin to support broad department initiatives.
- Take accountability for process efficiencies within assignments.
- Begin to make proposals in accordance with department practices.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates analysis, project results, and other business initiatives to peers and business partners.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audience within the primary working group with guidance from manager.
- Actively participates and may lead group discussions at the unit level.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or presentations with guidance and peer review.
- Networks and collaborates on ideas and challenges.
- Retention and development of assigned staff.
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals.
- Talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 2 years of experience in quantitative analysis required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
- 4+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Take ownership of assigned projects and meetings, make recommendations and presents results to business partners.
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including mentoring/training team members.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively supporting business goals and being a positive member of the Enterprise culture.
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of a few basic business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products, reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim, and financials.
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in developing analytic solutions.
- Has a foundational perspective of the primary industry and developing trends such as: technology, analytic methodology, products and performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with a couple other key business drivers and disciplines.
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships across the BI&AA community across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and begin to build consensus with guidance.
- Aware of potential conflict and begins to addresses with guidance.
- Begin to set and manage expectations with business partners for small projects.
- Evaluate and use appropriate data, tools and methods.
- Able to perform analytics independently, can effectively plan next steps within analyses with little oversight.
- May perform technical review of team work product.
- Able to contribute on more complex analytical work with guidance.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.