Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryUnder moderate supervision, this position is responsible for the handling of first party property claims including: investigating, evaluating, estimating and negotiating to ensure optimal claim resolution for personal or business claims of moderate severity and complexity. Handles claims and other functional work involving one or more lines of business other than property (i.e. auto, workers compensation, premium audit, underwriting) may be required. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Territories: Northern Suburbs
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Handles 1st party property claims of moderate severity and complexity as assigned.
- Completes field inspection of losses including accurate scope of damages, photographs, written estimates and/or computer assisted estimates.
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine coverage, damages and liability of first-party property damage claims (including but not limited to analyzing leases, contracts, by-laws and other relevant documents which may have an impact), damages, business interruption calculations and liability of first-party property claims under a variety of policies. Secures recorded or written statements as appropriate.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate, estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits and deductibles and work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Negotiates with multiple constituents, i.e.; contractors or insured's representatives and conveys claim settlements within authority limits.
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence.
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations in accordance with the Knowledge Guides.
- Maintains diary system, capturing all required data and documents claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all other internal and external customers/business partners.
- Recognizes when to refer claims to Travelers Special Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Identifies and refers claims with Major Case Unit exposure to the manager.
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Provides multi-line assistance in response to workforce management needs; including but not limited to claim handling for Auto, Workers Compensation, General Liability and other areas of the business as needed.
- May provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced claim professionals.
- May attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials, trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- CAT Duty ~ This position will require participation in our Catastrophe Response Program, which could include deployment away for a minimum of 16 days (includes 2 travel days) to assist our customers in other states.
- Must secure and maintain company credit card required.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of one year previous outside property claim handling experience or successful completion of Travelers Outside Claim Representative training program required.
- Valid driver's license required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors Degree preferred.
- General knowledge of estimating system Xactimate preferred.
- 2+ years previous outside property claim handling experience preferred.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid passport preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Interpersonal and customer service skills - Advanced
- Organizational and time management skills- Advanced
- Ability to work independently - Intermediate
- Judgment, analytical and decision making skills - Intermediate
- Negotiation skills - Intermediate
- Written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to convey and receive information effectively -Intermediate
- Investigative skills - Intermediate
- Ability to analyze and determine coverage - Intermediate
- Analyze, and evaluate damages -Intermediate
- Resolve claims within settlement authority - Intermediate
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- This position requires the individual to access and inspect all areas of a dwelling or structure, which is physically demanding requiring the ability to carry, set up and climb a ladder weighing approximately 38 to 49 pounds, walk on roofs, and enter tight spaces (such as attic staircases and entries, crawl spaces, etc.). While specific territory or day-to-day responsibilities may not require an individual to climb a ladder, the incumbent must be capable of safely climbing a ladder when deploying to a catastrophe which is a requirement of the position.
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.